Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Trim to Roof while in section elevation

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would like to use the trim to roof tool while in sections and elevations. This would allow faster manipulation of objects. This would save me from having to go back and forth between the sections and floor plans while adjusting the heights of things. It would also be nice if the section's would update in real time like the floor plan rather than having to rebuild the entire view every time i change something.
16 REPLIES 16
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
SEO's work in S/E and a 'Rebuild From Model' (ctrl+shift+R) updates it, but I do agree it could and should all be consistent between views.

Cheers,
Link.
Andy Thomson
Advisor
Trim to roof in S/E YES!
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
Djordje
Ace
Agree with wish, but:

Have you ever tried doing all this in 3D window?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes. I do modify adjust and edit the building in the 3-D window. however things look different in the 3-D view when compared to the 2-D view and sometimes if you want it to look just right you have to do it in the 2-D S&E in this case it would be nice to be able to use all the tools and not be limited to the few that have been left available. I don't know if this makes any sense but it is after all just my opinion as a user of this product.
Anonymous
Not applicable
its even more comfortable to trim the walls in 3d window when you have more than a roof.and also i agree with the wish too.
You can trim to roof in S/E windows using SEO.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Djordje
Ace
chriszolezzi wrote:
Yes. I do modify adjust and edit the building in the 3-D window. however things look different in the 3-D view when compared to the 2-D view and sometimes if you want it to look just right you have to do it in the 2-D.
Well ...

Are you designing a building or a section?

What it looks in 3D is what it is going to look when it is built. So, if you think it is looking wrong in the section, that means that you have a design problem that no working in a particular type of window will solve.

So if the section is all wrong, correct your model until it is right.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Essential, for general interface consistency. But.

Wall/roof trimming should always be done in the 3D window. It is the only way to see the whole effect of the operation. Trimming in S/E sounds convenient, until you discover the invisible, unintended consequence.
Are you designing a building or a section?
James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
Bruce
Expert
I get enormously frustrated when I have to adjust the roof slightly (usually in S/E window to get the height lined up properly) and the walls don't follow the roof.

So I have to undo the roof trim (which strangely enough CAN be done in the S/E window) then generate a 3d in order to trim that wall back down again. Depending on the size of the model this can waste a lot of time - and you can't select items in the S/E window to restrict the 3D rebuild, so you have to go to the plan and select, then the 3D window - etc etc.

Revit's way of doing it is brilliant - once you trim, it stays stuck to that roof until you say otherwise. Much easier.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC26 5002 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb