Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Unicode on Mac

alexliz
Participant
I really can't wait for the time when ArchiCAD will be Unicode on the Mac.

This means two things, basically: The program itself, ie the GUI, must be Unicode; and the Text Encoding for Texts and Labels (and, why not?, dimensions etc.) must be Unicode, too.

I know that for most of US/International users this doesn't mean much, but for me, based in Athens, Greece, as well as for what I imagine to be hundreds of users in other European lands and elsewhere where english is not the mother language, it is a make-or-break difference when working in mixed platform environments, or when they simply need to use the International version of ArchiCAD as opposed to the localised one (perhaps they need to work now, as opposed to having to wait for the localisation to be complete, and they need the same version as other colleagues, so they can't lag behind a version number).

Right now I have spent a couple of days trying to figure things out, only realizing that I am defeated, and I can either go back to 8.1 until the Greek 9.0 for the Mac is released, or reset the current projects' material names, line types, layer names etc to only use latin characters and not greek. Either way, I am handicapped. I am disappointed that Windows users do not have any problems of this sort; it's only on OS X. I mean, isn't OS X Unicode compliant anyway? Why do Win users get a better product?
Alex Zachopoulos

MacBook Pro 17" 2.4GHz, MacOS X 10.5.6, ArchiCAD 11 & 12, WinXP, Vista (well, not really Vista...)
2 REPLIES 2
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
I have no idea what unicode is. But if we're wishing for international language and character support then I'm all for it.

As an urban designer, I have to deal with DWGs from China ffrequently. And when I import, all the Chinese characters become '???" which is a tad annoying. Cause when I open the DWG in AutoCAD all the chinese characters seem to be displayed.

Maybe this would remove the need for localised versions of the software. Allowing EVERYONE to use the same version.
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
It's 2010 now, and still no Unicode for mac!

Thank you GS!
Mac OSX 13.6.4 | AC 26 INT 3001 FULL