BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Unified Project File Type; including PLN, PLA & PLP

Anonymous
Not applicable
In keeping with my pattern of BIG ideas I have a new suggestion.

I would like to see the unification of the PLN, PLP & PLA file types.

This is really a shorthand way of saying that I would like to see the consolidation of opening/signing-in to a project into a single standard process and a related improvement in the handling of libraries.

First; the combination of solo with shared projects.

A single procedure to open/sign into a project offers several advantages:

1. It is only necessary to teach/explain one proceedure for opening and saving files. I presently have to explain (and write standards for) two different ways to access a project depending on whether it is shared or not. It is not always easy for people to understand the distinctions. Just today I had to explain that closing the file and quiting ArchiCAD doesn't mean one is signed out of the project. I know this is a newbie kind of issue, but any office of more than few people (and some withe less) will always have some relatively new users around.

2. People become accustomed to a single standard way of working, increasing efficiency in work habits and reliability in file organization and maintenance.

3. Administrative controls can be set up as a standard practice so that whether someone is working solo or on a shared project the same protections are available to prevent casual changes in layering, pen or other office standards. (Auto-login could be set

4. Multiple backups and local drafts become a standard operating procedure on all projects, shared or not.

5. Open/sign-in can be kept simple by offering options to sign into part of the project (as in TeamWork), open with full access (with privledges to change everything), or open the entire project without access to the attributes etc.

I'm sure there is more but I am getting too tired.

Merging the PLA into the Standard Project File Type

The new unified project file would always contain it's own project library. Now that it is possible to read library parts directly from an archive this seems like the logical next step.

The file would initially load only the lbrary parts contained within itself greatly speeding up the library loading process. Additional (external) libraries are loaded as reference libraries available for browsing in the library manager. One a new part is placed in the project it is automatically added to the internal set.

The program (AC) alerts you if the part from the reference library are different from the installed parts and provides the option to update either way or not at all. This protects against undesired changes from updated or revised library parts.

This is all for now...
I am falling asleep.
21 REPLIES 21
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
I have mistakenly edited an object in AC12 several times when running AC11 in parallel
Oh mate, I really hate this when it happens... this is so bloody annoying!
What this new editor should have is some form of code validation check with AC Version options highlighting code that is not compatible with the selected version.
Yep, actually that's a very good and yet simple idea.
::rk
owen
Newcomer
Rob wrote:
I have mistakenly edited an object in AC12 several times when running AC11 in parallel
Oh mate, I really hate this when it happens... this is so bloody annoying!
thank God for Time Machine! AC knows what GDL version an object is - is it too hard or time consuming for GS to just add a simple warning dialog when opening or saving an object whose GDL version is earlier than the current?

Little things like this are so, so simple to integrate and would at least show GS are capable of listening to us (this has been suggested before i am sure)
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Learn and get certified!