Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Universal Labeling Tool

I want a new labeling tool that will label any item I select with any kind of information or other thing I want.

My main reason for wanting such a tool would be for getting my widows and doors in elevation to have the same markers as they do in my floor plans. After many years of seeing it on the wish list, this is still not very easy to do. Perhaps this is because it is such an easy thing to do with a little GLD programing that they think it is not worth makeing a tool for us to do this with.

ArchiCAD can do all of these things in some way. What I want is a single tool to do all of this sort of thing with.

I can not think of anything that would be more valuable to me for ArchiCAD than a Universal Labeling Tool.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

43 REPLIES 43
TomWaltz
Participant
Steve wrote:
My main reason for wanting such a tool would be for getting my widows and doors in elevation to have the same markers as they do in my floor plans.
The Label Tool can do that now. It's part of why I use the Label Tool, because I can use the same symbol in plan and elevation easily.

Am I missing something?
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
not everyone is proficient enough with gdl to use create custom labels (and without spending too much time).

the problem could be solved with a smarter library

i'll vote important
TomWaltz
Participant
zucoc wrote:
not everyone is proficient enough with gdl to use create custom labels (and without spending too much time).

the problem could be solved with a smarter library

i'll vote important
That's kind of what I mean.... the Label tools that come with Archicad do this already. Was there some other function that I am just not understanding?
Tom Waltz
I am talking about getting Builder Dimensions (I think it is called in ArchiCAD) for window and door sizes to show up in elevations like the attached picture.

Is there a way to do this now? I can make a lable to have the words I want but I want them to be fully parametric as well.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

when I am showing window markers where windows are stacked I put the name of the top window over the one below. When there are three windows, the same thing. The top window size is on top, next one down under it, next one down under that.

None of this is any problem if you are using window ID markers and widow schedules. Many of my clients want the window size to read exactly where the window is not off to the side in a schedule.
This is unfortunate, but that's how it is sometimes.

If you need to have your widow markers/sizes in elevations it is not easy to do and still maintain parametric/interactive (not sure of the word) labels.

TomWaltz
Participant
I see... the problem is that the Door/Window marker you are using in plan is not available as a Label, so you cannot place it in an elevation....

Steve, can you look up exactly which Door/Window marker you are using (or confirm it's actually called "Builder Dimensions"). It might not be hard for me to make a Label out of it so you can do exactly this.
Tom Waltz
This is the marker I am using on my floor plans.

Thanks for talking about this with me. It is helping me very much to understand more clearly what it is that I am asking for.

Also, notice that I have to use a suffix to get a true Builder Dimension
(size) and/or a special seperator.

If you want a 3060 CSMT for example, the default size would read
3x6. I don't mind adding a suffix or seporator for a few things, but to get what I want it would also be good to have a prefix option and a box to check for the hinge side so it would read XO, OX, OXO or what ever the case may be. Window usualy have a different meaning for XO than say a sliding glass door. These things are essential for me to have on my plans even if I do show operation < or > in the elevations.

I am not sure about this, but I would be supprised if the Graphisoft programers know how important these things are to a builder or the guy at the lumber yard who doing materials take-off.

Yes, I know that all if his can be managed much better using a window schedule, which ArchiCAD does very very well.

However, this is not always an option for me. My clients want it both ways.

My clients don't give a rats ass about whether the number in NCS format or not. A 26100 ATPW for example= 2'-6" x 10'-0" Arch Top Picture Window. Or a 5060 DC = 5'-0"x6'-0" Double Casement. You know what I mean.

TomWaltz
Participant
It looks possible, but it's not as easy as I had hoped it would be. I thought it would be a quick 5-minute conversion, but it's not so simple...

I do not see any reason GS did not make labels out of all the D/W markers to offer a little more flexibility so you could use them in elevation as well.
Tom Waltz
TomWaltz
Participant
Extract the label from the Zip, place it in your Library, and Reload Libraries.

Set this up under the Label tool as the default Label for Doors and for Windows. then associate it to a Door or Window (by clicking "Label Element" under the Listing & Labeling Tab or on the Info Box.)

(Works Archicad 10 or later)
Tom Waltz