Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

User interface management

Jan Vlach
Advocate
Graphisoft gives us the option to customize Archicad to a large extent. And many users do exactly that. Up to the point that their Archicad is almost completely unrecognisable from the version that comes out of the box. I too, customize many a thing to get what I need from the program.

I personally like to create very custom pallets that show only a few functions used not so often. And that's beautiful. What is not beautiful however is, that when the new version rolls around I will have to do it all again.

Now, Archicad has a cool Work enviroment (manager), however for reasons (???), if you want to bring in your custom pallets then you, of course, want to bring in your menus from the previous version. (Which you actually don't! because menus change with the new version for a good reason!)

So wouldn't it be nice to be able to save the setting on each page of the Work enviroment individually? Ya bet it would!

Edit: Changed Interface manager to "Work Enviroment" as it is propperly known in English, sorry about that. Next time I get frustrated with Archicad, I will research the correct terminology first
From Archicad 8.5 all the way to the present.
Passionate Autocad hater as well.
Wish to save palets and menus individualy in work enviroments:
https://bit.ly/3pg3Bx7
7 REPLIES 7
Karl Ottenstein
Could you clarify what you mean by "interface manager" and "page"? Since the Work Environment ("interface manager"?) was introduced, we can save different versions of every division of the W.E. (each of the six "schemes") and switch between those, or switch between any number of total work environment "profiles" (combinations of the scheme settings).

https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/user-guide/128949/

Is your wish for being able to save at a finer level - at each individual section within each scheme?
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Lingwisyer
Guru
Need a "What's New" palette that you can just bring up when you import your old profile into a new version? From there you can just add what ever you need to your existing workspace?

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Karl Ottenstein
Lingwisyer wrote:
Need a "What's New" palette that you can just bring up when you import your old profile into a new version? From there you can just add what ever you need to your existing workspace?
Hi Ling,

I agree... but please start a fresh wish thread for that. It is not the topic of this wish (save per page of WE vs per scheme - if I understand the OP correctly). 🙂

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Lingwisyer
Guru
Just wondering if there are any other reasons you would need to redo your Workspace each version of AC other than any new commands / tools which would otherwise be hidden.

Ability to adopt one of your WE pages from the previous version if it HASN'T changed, vs adopting everything and adding what HAS changed.
Or is the OP only wishing to retain their custom palettes whist adopting everything else from GS?

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I think the OP is talking about the Work Environment and the ability to export/import menus and toolbars (he calls them pallets) separately.

Here is a post I wrote about how this can be achieved. You need to edit XML files to do it:

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=71685&p=320917#p320917
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Jan Vlach
Advocate
Right, as I use the czech version of archicad I usually dont know the propper english translation of each tool.

(I will edit the original post so others know what I meant)

Sorry about that. I am glad that with a little bit of tinkering I can achive what I want. But, clearly I and the OP in the other thread and I are not alone in this and clearly the Work enviroment should be able to be saved each chapter individually wthout the need for thirdparty tools and copy-pasting and what not. Because that is what a good software design is about. Anyway, thanks for the workaround for the time being @LaszloNagy
From Archicad 8.5 all the way to the present.
Passionate Autocad hater as well.
Wish to save palets and menus individualy in work enviroments:
https://bit.ly/3pg3Bx7
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
The thread I linked to is actually a wish.
You can vote for it if you want this feature implemented:

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=71685
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27