Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Wall Intersections

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am not sure if this has been addressed before. I searched for it and did not see it so here it is.

I wish that walls in 3D and Elevations would clean up better. Note the condition shown in the attached image. This condition has occurred in every project I have ever done in ArchiCAD. Basically there is a break in the wall for a change in wall thickness. This is not even a composite wall or a change in wall heights; just your basic walls. An unneeded line is created in sections/elevations and in the 3D window leaving users searching for workarounds to get rid of it.

The condition is a very simple and extremely common and I see no reason why it can't be cleaned up properly by ArchiCAD. This is very disappointing for a costly application that is over twenty years old. To me this should almost be classified as a BUG fix.

Note: ArchiCAD does not clean up this condition properly in 3D and Elevations when the walls ARE the same thickness (when there are three walls in same position indicated in attached image.). One of a things this BUG does is prevent users from putting exterior walls for units inside of modules because you end up with unneeded lines all over the elevations at ends of every unit. For large projects you can save a great deal of input time doing this.

Graphisoft please fix this issue.

Wall Intersections.jpg
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable
You can eliminate the exterior line by reversing (or centering) the reference line of the interior wall.

Wall intersections can be tricky and could still stand some improvement. They have been getting better with each release of the program. I hope that in AC9 all contiguous, coplanar surfaces of the same material will clean up. Until then I suggest that you learn a bit more about the techniques (or ask) before you rant about the limitations of the software.

BTW: Really tricky wall intersections can usually be handled with polywalls.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
You can eliminate the exterior line by reversing (or centering) the reference line of the interior wall.

Wall intersections can be tricky and could still stand some improvement. They have been getting better with each release of the program. I hope that in AC9 all contiguous, coplanar surfaces of the same material will clean up. Until then I suggest that you learn a bit more about the techniques (or ask) before you rant about the limitations of the software.

BTW: Really tricky wall intersections can usually be handled with polywalls.
Matthew,

My assumption is that you assumed the interior wall is the one perpendicular to the walls in line (which is correct for this example anyway).

The problem is none of your solutions worked for me. In my experimentation, I NEVER was able to make the walls clean up properly in 2D and 3D for the example in the posted image by centering the reference line of the interior wall or reversing the direction of the reference line of the interior wall (I tried various techniques for about 20 minutes). I was able to move the line from the exterior wall to the face of the interior wall, but that is still a problem because it appears in interior elevations and because it did not happen with any consistency (so it's out for modules). Not to mention the fact that a line still appeared that should not have.

I was able to get the line to disappear when all the walls were all the same thickness, sometimes. But there was no method to the madness; it worked sometimes and sometime is did not. I still consider this a major problem/bug.

Even if the solutions you posted did work (which they did NOT, for me anyway) this is still a problem with the software. Drawing three walls as shown in the original posted image should clean up properly in ArchiCAD in both 2D and 3D, PERIOD. No workarounds (which I haven't found yet). No tricks (which I haven't found yet). No flipping reference lines (which did NOT work). No centering reference lines (which also did NOT work). This is a basic intersection and having this cleanup properly would be a major time saver for me and I imagine other ArchiCAD users.

Also, I am offended by your unnecessary attack on my ArchiCAD technique. I tried both of your suggestions along with everything else I could think of BEFORE I posted the original message and nothing worked for me. This is an issues that other people I know are experiencing as well and it would be great it was finally resolved in the next version of ArchiCAD.

I would however like take a moment to thank you, Matthew, for being part of the problem.
Eduardo Rolon
Mine clean perfectly even though at different heights and different width. You just have to make sure where the intersections and the reference lines are. It only took one minute to verify that everything cleaned ok, but I agree that even though wall intersections are improving, I should not have to spend that minute making sure. I know that in AC07 intersections were sometines a pain but since AC08 I have had no problems.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Djordje
Ace
Michael wrote:
The problem is none of your solutions worked for me. In my experimentation, I NEVER was able to make the walls clean up properly in 2D and 3D for the example in the posted image
Did you try setting the contours to best?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Michael,

This is a bug that I submitted to GS again just last week. It has been assigned a Bug Tracking #, which essentially means that Budapest knows about it and is evaluating the problem. Hopefully this means that they'll fix it!

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
ejrolon wrote:
Mine clean perfectly even though at different heights and different width. You just have to make sure where the intersections and the reference lines are. It only took one minute to verify that everything cleaned ok, but I agree that even though wall intersections are improving, I should not have to spend that minute making sure. I know that in AC07 intersections were sometines a pain but since AC08 I have had no problems.
ejrolon,

Were you able to make the walls clean in both directions?

What usually happens to me it that I am able to move the extra line from one face to the other but not eliminate it. I can't tell because line elevation only shows one direction and the 3D view is rendered (which does not show contour lines) not internal 3D Engine w/ contours. From my experience under this scenario I would always get an extra line on the wall of the A/C Closet perpendicular to the elevation displayed in your attached image. Maybe this is promising.

Also, what version do you use? I use US 8.1.0 v1 USA (Haven't upgrade to v2 because I am concerned about the bugs reported on this forum).
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:
Michael wrote:
The problem is none of your solutions worked for me. In my experimentation, I NEVER was able to make the walls clean up properly in 2D and 3D for the example in the posted image
Did you try setting the contours to best?
Djordje,

I tried setting contours to best. Can you model this condition without any extra lines on any of the walls on your version of ArchiCAD?

Thanks,

MDS
Eduardo Rolon
Michael wrote:
ejrolon,

Were you able to make the walls clean in both directions?

What usually happens to me it that I am able to move the extra line from one face to the other but not eliminate it. I can't tell because line elevation only shows one direction and the 3D view is rendered (which does not show contour lines) not internal 3D Engine w/ contours. From my experience under this scenario I would always get an extra line on the wall of the A/C Closet perpendicular to the elevation displayed in your attached image. Maybe this is promising.

Also, what version do you use? I use US 8.1.0 v1 USA (Haven't upgrade to v2 because I am concerned about the bugs reported on this forum).
Yes I did, see attached, but I had to rearrange the walls differently see the floorplan on my other post and this one, since I did get the same extra line you mention. Right now I am using 8.1R2 USA but I never had any particular problem with 8.1R1 that I remember Sometimes to make it work you just have to stretch the wall not to the reference line but the other one (not in bold) and let AC clean it up.

Hope that you are able to get it working! At least you now know it is posible
BTW this is part of a set of CD's I am working on and they are not final so you might see some extra stuff that I have not finished designing.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
ejrolon,

It's nice to know that it did work for you; still no dice for me. It's good to know that Graphisoft is aware and has assigned this critical issue a Bug Tracking #, thanks to the good work of Link. Let's hope its hammered out in the next version.

MDS...