Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Windows and views

I am not sure how this one can be worked out, but I wish there was a way of selecting a view settings for a window without messing up the layer combinations etc. of all the other windows. So that you could have a section/elevation window open showing the correct view settings for a section/elevation view, and a floor plan view open showing the correct view settings for a floor plan view, if that is what you want.
4 REPLIES 4
__archiben
Booster
Ignacio wrote:
... So that you could have a section/elevation window open showing the correct view settings for a section/elevation view, and a floor plan view open showing the correct view settings for a floor plan view, if that is what you want.
independent yet dynamically updating windows are an essential aspect of the archiCAD engine development in my opinion. and long over due.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
For me its huge.
Barry Kelly
Ignacio wrote:
I am not sure how this one can be worked out, but I wish there was a way of selecting a view settings for a window without messing up the layer combinations etc. of all the other windows. So that you could have a section/elevation window open showing the correct view settings for a section/elevation view, and a floor plan view open showing the correct view settings for a floor plan view, if that is what you want.
I liked this idea and voted "Essential" but then I thought that's what the viewsets do already.
Click on a floor plan view in a viewset and it will open with the floor plan layers.
Click on an elevation view and it will open the elevation layers.
So long as you have set the viewsets up properly

For those of us with a regular size screen this is the best way.
For those with huge or multi screens then it means you must use the viewsets in Navigator rather than just clicking in the appropriate open window view.

But it would still be nice if when using the Project Map it also remembered the layers last chosen for a particular view.
After all it does remember the scale - why not the layers.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Barry wrote:
I liked this idea and voted "Essential" but then I thought that's what the viewsets do already.
Click on a floor plan view in a viewset and it will open with the floor plan layers.
Click on an elevation view and it will open the elevation layers.
That is coherent with a single-window program, but not for a program with several windows going around. Nobody is asking to change the floor plan window view settings when opening a section-elevation window by clicking on a S/E viewset.

Sometimes, of course, you do want to check the same layer combination + display options + scale in different windows ('what the heck is this cr*p showing up in this section?'), but except when doing the very basic modeling most of the times you don't, and that is the only thing you get.

The constant unnecessary regeneration is a waste of computer power and operator time, and the need to change the view settings every time one switches window is a waste of operator attention.

[And the way the relative prices of screen square footage, programs and operator time have gone, it only makes sense to have a lot of screen area in your desktop computer.]