Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

ability to copy/paste photos and scale without adding them manually through drafting tool

cocoloco
Advocate

Please! Make it "EASY" to copy paste/or slide photo from internet or computer with ability to scale them WITHOUT ADDING THEM MANUALLY AS "DRAFTING TOOL" which would mean I have to save all photos manually into computer folder first, and then manually add them into archicad. When I copy paste photo as now without doing it through drafting tool it does not scale balanced although "keep proportions" is turned on...., means it will resize but not scale properly, so it end up uneven. While if I put the same photo through drafting tool, I can scale it properly with correct proportions. (great - except, WHY IT HAS TO BE THIS DIFFICULT?) I want be fast and not waste my time over this BS interfere..Archicad recognize JPEG (or other photo file) so why to do it manually? Why at least the "keep proportions" tool does not work? (Honestly, the same with other goes with other 3d files, why can't I just slide in the archicad instead I have to do XY (I don't need to input any setting prior so I just don't get it). But one thing at the time, the photos please? I mean seriously, I can't scale anything or additionally change photo without adding it manually at first through the drafting tool. I use this for schedules means I need all finishes, furniture, appliances etc photos... I copy paste It from internet . 

This feature had been asked a lot of times, I even found this in 2012.... I wonder does someone actually read this? 😄 

Screenshot 2023-05-09 at 8.17.31 AM.png
MacBook Pro, Sonoma: 2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7, Intel 16GB mem,
Archicad Solo 26 and 27 (in testing mode)
11 REPLIES 11
Karl Ottenstein

I'm not really understanding what is not working for you.   I can drag images directly out of a web browser or my desktop into Archicad without having to save them anywhere.

You don't say what your platform is... you've been active long enough that you know you should include a signature with your operating system, etc as seen in mine.  Please do that... it will update every post you have made here with that info when you do.

Perhaps it works for me due to something with macOS and perhaps you are on Windows?

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

I explained what Is not working.YES I can copy paste it but. I can't scale or edit same way I would be if I am adding images through drafting tool, not sure why it is so limited). The biggest issue is I can't scale it properly by mouse (see. added printscreen). It will scale if I add numbers manually .... but not if I do it with mouse... Maybe I must be doing something wrong 😄 

And thank you for letting me know about the signature. I went through whole setting but can't find it to ill look into it later.,, meanwhile, it isMacbook -  IOS MacOS Ventura 13.3.1. (a) , 2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7) 

When I copy an image and paste into Archicad, it comes in as a 'Figure' not a "Drawing'.

I can simply drag any corner node to resize.

BarryKelly_0-1683683122115.png

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
kmitotk
Advocate

Make sure you have the snap guides turned on. After you pasted the image, select it and click on the corner node and stretch it out along the snap guide line ( blue dash line) that should appear diagonally outside the image and press & hold shift key to constrain your cursor direction to the guide line. Your image will be scaled proportionally.

Kei Mito

Architect | Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager
ArchiCAD 26 & 27 JPN USA & INT | Windows 10

I re-read the original post.

Yes, to keep proportions, use the blue snap guides.

BarryKelly_1-1683684709018.png

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

I think it is not easy to decide whether this is a feature or a bug. I, for one, cannot.

What cocoloco is arguing is that if you have the "Keep proportions" checkbox checked, then even if you use the Stretch command of the Pet Palette on the Figure, it should respect the status of the "Keep proportions" checkbox and allow the Figure to be stretched proportionately. Currently, it does not respect it.

I do not know if this is a Product Design decision, meaning that the Stretch command will let you resize a Figure any way you want regardless of the status of the "Keep proportions" checkbox, or it is simply a bug.

So, I will forward this to GS HQ for investigation.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

It seems a bug, but I don't think it is really.

When locked and you type in a figure (length or width), the other figure remains locked as you would expect.

But when you are stretching via the corner hotspot, how does Archicad know if you are adjusting the length or the width?

Because you are dragging in both directions at the same time, which one should it choose to be locked?

The same actually happens with objects if you lock the A & B sizes.

The still stretch independently with the hotspots.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
cocoloco
Advocate

Hi! Thank you so much for everyones feedback.

To clear the confusion, it seems like a bug.

I am attaching video (please please watch it). I am adding on one side (left) a photo that is added by what is quick and intuitive to me, and same photo next to it (right side) added by drafting tool. As you can see the photo on left, when I set up proportions by manually adding sizing, it will scale, but not by mouse (although it is same icon as drafting tool has and it scales correctly).

If it's not a bug, why would archicad make it THIS complicated and why I can't simply do same edits (scale/adjust frame/move node) as I would do through drafting tool? its a same file (for Christs sake :D)! I believe this 2 "features" should be blended into one. 

anyway, please watch I really wish to fix it , or learn to do it correctly 😄

I can see you point.

When the proportions are locked, you would expect it to stretch proportionally with the hotspot.

The Drawing tool has no choice, because it is always locked.

BarryKelly_2-1684287783230.png

I am sure it would be the same if it could be unlocked.

@cocoloco wrote:

anyway, please watch I really wish to fix it , or learn to do it correctly 😄

I actually don't mind the way it works now as it is easy to control.

Activate the snap guides and just follow those.

Stay close to the guide line or hold SHIFT to lock to it.

BarryKelly_3-1684287914129.png

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27