Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

broader macOS compatibility

March_ Bruce
Booster

...with the pasing of Steve Jobs Apple moved to annual macOS releases (vs every 2~3 years) and most recently with Archicad 25 we seem to have lost even current macOS compatibility eg. Mojave was still within the unofficial 3 year support window yet the installer is bricked... 

Mojave is also the last macOS to support 32 bit apps so one might ask if extended support for this OS is especially appropriate?  TwinMotion nor Archicad are recommended for Monterey @ 12.0.1 effectively narrowing options further, including the latest M1 macbook pro.

for consideration: tidbits.com/2019/10/21/six-reasons-why-ios-13-and-catalina-are-so-buggy/#discussion

and notable comments on macOS 11 from users: https://www.process.st/macos-11/

Can anyone explain with metal supported since High Sierra why AC25 effectively only supports 2 macOS ?

Has anyone found a way to get AC25 working on either Mojave or High Sierra ?

Thx

4 REPLIES 4
Noemi Balogh
Community Admin
Community Admin

You can find the explanation here: https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Setup-License-articles/Operating-System-Support-Cycle-of-GRAPHIS...

Noémi Balogh

Community Expert, Admin

Thanks for your reply and link...

... is this policy vs an explanation or solution ...?

...  does "We also recommend to always stay up-to-date with the latest macOS' contradict the below... ?

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Setup-License-articles/macOS-and-Archicad/ta-p/303978

"As a rule of thumb, we advise to wait 6 months after the Public Release date of the newest macOS version."

March_Bruce_0-1638292499463.jpeg

additionally the links in the post consider the efficacy and bugs in macos, including comments from a developer...

MacOS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) was able to run Archicad 7 through 17

MacOS 10.8 (Mountain Lion) was able to run Archicad 10 thriough 19

10.14 AC18~24 (20~24)
10.13 AC18~24 (19~23)
10.12 AC18~22 (19~22)
10.11 AC18~22 (18~21)
10.10 AC17~20 (17~20)
10.9 AC13~20 (16~19)
10.8 AC10~19 (15~18)*
10.6 AC07~17

(officially supported in brackets)

How many in professional practice (and not working at Graphisoft) consider compatibility and ease of use  core features..?

Is anyone interested in a Linux (open source os) version...?

@March_ Bruce wrote:

Is anyone interested in a Linux (open source os) version...?

You've been around the forums long enough to know that this question has been asked every year for 20 years.  The answer is always - and how would this get paid for?  Along with, given that Linux, too, evolves... what VERSIONs of Linus do you want ARCHICAD to be compatible with?

Your original post imagines that Metal is Metal and MacOS is MacOS so it must be trivial to produce new released of ARCHICAD that run on all old operating systems.  That's not the case.  Apple is continuously changing and adding APIs that change what the programmers at Graphisoft have to do.  Sure, they probably COULD make each version compatible with the previous 4 or 5 versions of MacOS... but would all users want to see the price rise by 50% to support the additional programmers, etc required to do that? 

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

Well I haven't actually been on these forums for a  long time, and I have never read anything about Linux although I recently loaded Ubuntu into Parallels and was impressed finding pretty much everything I needed open sourced save Archicad.

I assume development would get paid for a linux version the way they do now, perhaps attracting more customers in suit, assuming there might be interest ?

I can't speak to profitability of GS either, however the subscription fee here went up roughly the 50% you speak of a few years ago and is now more than our professional dues.

We seem to have declining options on the macOS in suit, along with what seems increasing complexity - have we traded ease of use for power and features...?  If so is that what we want ?

This is after all a wishes forum...?

I am not a programmer so the reason I ask,  as an end user who started on the mac long ago when ease of use and 'it just works' was the mantra & 'wish'...

Are training costs a new paradigm (and business model) as a result ?

Do we wish for that too ?

Has Windows become the better option now for flexibility, stability and ease of use than macOS ?