Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

file path for "save as"

Dave Brach
Advocate
I request that when I go to "File>Save As" that the default location is NOT the last location a file was saved, but rather the last location that the CURRENT file was saved. We are a small firm with small projects and do not use solo projects, not teamwork. I cannot tell you how many times over the past 10 years we have saved files in the "wrong" folder (folder for a different project). It has happened literally hundreds of times. I just spent 2 hours transferring changes from a file I worked on last week, but saved in the wrong place, to a file that one of my employees was updating today...
Dave Brach/architect
AC26 MBP OS Ventura
AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
26 REPLIES 26
Tucker Architect
Newcomer

I appreciate that I am not the only one complaining about this. It is literally the ONLY software we own that operates like this (we own the full autodesk suites including Revit, as well as SketchUp and many Leica products). In my opinion, Graphisoft has a very backwards way of looking at so many parts of the software functionality, and this one tops them all! How on earth do the tech folks there not get that they are doing this backwards and their users are begging them for a simple change. I am sick of paying such high costs for mediocre software. We spend too much time searching for "lost files" from changes we made weeks ago. I have complained to the salespeople and they don't get it.

It's been enough to make us consider Revit, as that is what most young staff know anyway.

Yeah, there are many things that could be better in Archicad, but this is one of those trully completely unaccetable behaviours as it is just plain wrong. There might have been a technical justification for this long time ago, but not now. It should be addressed inmediately

pbg
Booster

Is there any glimmer of hope on getting this wish granted? I certainly hope so.

Thanks in advance!

AC 26 USA (latest build) - Windows 11 - Intel i7 - 64 GB Ram - NVIDIA RTX A4000

It doesnt appear on the roadmap, so ... 😞

Dave Brach
Advocate

I just hired a new employee.  He is doing amazingly well learning archicad and working on a bout 4 projects.  So now, of course I am finding .pln files all over the place in our cloud file storage system because it is impossible for even the most conscientious of us to remember this bizarre practice for "save as".  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE fix this.

Dave Brach/architect
AC26 MBP OS Ventura
AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
Erwin Edel
Rockstar

Our 'fix' for this problem has been to include the project number in front of every folder name on our server (making every folder name unique). Just in case someone finds that a helpful tip. Works well with filenames too!

It should behave as the wish though, no doubt about that.

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5

Good tip. I have been doing the same with Folder and Filenames for years. A quick file search of the job number can reveal all sorts of unexpected results for files which aren't obviously misplaced including those in the AC Launch Screen open file list. 

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)