Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

kill the pet palete

Anonymous
Not applicable
since I use archicad my hands hurt me a lot.

The most annoying and unpredictable tool of all the software I know is the pet palette. Why archicad don't have two separate tools like corel? One is to select, move and rotate and the other is for node editing. Easy. and nobody needs to click thousand times. just press f10 means "node editing" and the pointer means "move, etc."

thx
19 REPLIES 19
Karl Ottenstein
I voted not needed, but do think that adding all pet palette options to the context menu (right mouse click, or ctrl-left-click Mac) would at times speed things and ease the transition for new users. No need to kill the pet palettes, but we could have some alternatives.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
There should be some alternative. may be we should be able to pick tools from the per pallette using some keys from the key board. these should be generally keys on the left hand side of the keyboard (for right mouse users). This way we do not need the mouse too much on the editing screen, thereby reducing effort.
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
I love the pet palette and to kill it would be absolute nonsense.

not needed
::rk
Dwight
Newcomer
Good interface design always allows alternative way to do things.
Keyboard commands are always faster than mouse/palette/menu choice commands.
The pet palette is an additional way to do things.
If you don't like it, fine. Perhaps this means being able to control when it appears, not terminate it.

I would be for a pet palette along the lines of the contextual menu structure in Maya where an array of choices much like a decision tree appear surrounding the mouse when summoned. The cursor should be in the middle of a number of choices that hover, partly transparent, over the work.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
For me, the most annoying thing about the pet palette is the 'drag' button. I never use it, and suspect few people do - there are much easier ways to drag an item. But the drawback is that, after you've dragged an item using any other means, your pet-palette has reverted to 'drag' when you really want it to stay on stretch or whatever, i.e. the function that you can only invoke through the pet palette.

Anyone use the pet palette for 'drag' ??

Keith

Archicad v.11
on Mac OS 10.4.8
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Keith wrote:
For me, the most annoying thing about the pet palette is the 'drag' button. I never use it, and suspect few people do - there are much easier ways to drag an item. But the drawback is that, after you've dragged an item using any other means, your pet-palette has reverted to 'drag' when you really want it to stay on stretch or whatever, i.e. the function that you can only invoke through the pet palette.

Anyone use the pet palette for 'drag' ??
I don't think this is entirely correct. It won't always revert to the drag, but I'm glad it does. What's faster than clicking and momentarily holding on an element, then dragging it? You don't have to enter or select anything else.

If the pet palette is on something else, that minor inconvenience can be remedied by hitting F or shift F to cycle through the pet palette options.

I agree it would be nice to have the option to turn it off for people who just can't or don't want to get used to it, but I wouldn't rate that highly.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
. What's faster than clicking and momentarily holding on an element, then dragging it? You don't have to enter or select anything else.
But that's my point: you don't need the pet palette for 'drag'.

Doesn't anyone else find that that whenever you try to modify the shape of a slab, fill, or zone, the first thing that happens is that you accidentally drag it, until you realise (with a curse) that the pet palette has reverted to 'drag'?

- K
Anonymous
Not applicable
Doesn't anyone else find that that whenever you try to modify the shape of a slab, fill, or zone, the first thing that happens is that you accidentally drag it, until you realise (with a curse) that the pet palette has reverted to 'drag'?

- K

I fully agree with this. Personally i find using ctrl+d to drag very much easier than using the pet palette for drag. I would really like if we can assign similar key shortcuts to all the options on the pet pallete. this way one can directly choose the option one wants.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I would like to remove the bottom line of the pet pallette with the drag, rotate, etc. commands. I do not use them at all and "D" for drag is the fastest way to move something. But the commands on he first line are essential and should not be removed!

I vote "not needed" because I definitely do not want to "kill" the poor Pet pallette, but I would welcome a switch or switches in the Work environment like those for the tracker.