Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

manual override of elements to view (like revit)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ability to manual override of elements to view (like revit). I couldn't live without layers but it would be nice to quickly hide things temporarily, not necessarily for documentation but for working.
25 REPLIES 25
Anonymous
Not applicable
sboydturner wrote:
The ability to hide individual elements in a view is one feature of Revit I really dislike and has cost $thousands in variations on previous projects as items were not shown on drawings.
These items have been missed from drawings as someone working in a view hidden items so that they have a clear working area when trying to figure something out and forget to unhide, meanwhile the drawings are printed and issued.
I know that ideally the missing items would be noticed when checking the issue set but in today’s shortened project timeframes there is just not the time to check every item on every single page of maybe hundreds of drawings in a set
So no more new features! New features - new problems! I'm just waiting for ArchiCAD 33, now )
Barry Kelly
Yury wrote:
These are good instruments, but for example: We have a complex section. All filters for 3d objects like - layer combinations, renovations - are in ideal state, but some objects (two or three) look wrong, or they must be hidden just for clear look of drawing. Architectural drawings must have a certain conventionality...so i need
opportunity to hide things for just this view! Independently of any other filters.
Instead, I have to hide them with fills or create additional filters that only complicate the work. If the project to go beyond the small private house - this problem becomes extremely visible.
You could try Graphic Overrides.
You can't hide with a GO but you can make elements white so they don't print - similar to using fills but more automatic.
You can set criteria to find a specific type of element, or all objects with a particular name or any element with a particular ID.
This way you can 'select' specific elements to override, and then you apply that GO just to the views where you want to override.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
That is an interesting point you are making here Scott.
I personally think that in itself this is a very useful feature which can be very helpful especially when creating and editing elements.
For the issue you are mentioning, I think that could be solved intelligently. There could be a View Setting that would influence whether these hidden elements are hidden when Views are placed on Layouts as Drawings, or when you want to Save or Publish, there could be a warning that would let you know that some elements are hidden and the save or publish command may not result in the output desired. There could also be an option to unhide all hidden elements in all selected Views.

So basically, I think this is a useful feature that could be more intelligently implemented.
sboydturner wrote:
The ability to hide individual elements in a view is one feature of Revit I really dislike and has cost $thousands in variations on previous projects as items were not shown on drawings.
These items have been missed from drawings as someone working in a view hidden items so that they have a clear working area when trying to figure something out and forget to unhide, meanwhile the drawings are printed and issued.
I know that ideally the missing items would be noticed when checking the issue set but in today’s shortened project timeframes there is just not the time to check every item on every single page of maybe hundreds of drawings in a set
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
I did have further thoughts on this maybe elements that are ‘hidden in view’ receive a graphic override that shows them as a ghosted / non-printing.
We would also need a way of scheduling items that are hidden in views so that a quality assurance check can be easily undertaken, item hidden and view(s) in which it is hidden.

Regards
Scott
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:

You could try Graphic Overrides.
You can't hide with a GO but you can make elements white so they don't print - similar to using fills but more automatic.
You can set criteria to find a specific type of element, or all objects with a particular name or any element with a particular ID.
This way you can 'select' specific elements to override, and then you apply that GO just to the views where you want to override.

Barry.
Thank you! This is a good idea when using B/W or greyscale in presentation which is often for sections or plans. But even so, invisible objects, but not hidden can produce even more issues. Like GO, the ability to hide any objects independently of other filters (Like GO) is one more good thing to make us feel freedom.
raoultittel
Participant
Yury wrote:
Because of "holes" like this, unfriendly programs like Revit take the market!
What, because they are logically set out? Love Revit.
Archicad 24 PC Windows 10 Pro

x64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 3696 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s) 32gb RAM Nvidia Quadro P1000
Professor Pickle
Advocate
sboydturner wrote:
You shouldn't hold back on developing useful features because some incompetent person will use it incorrectly. People do dumb stuff al the time. You need a decent QA workflow to manage that.
Pushing the boundaries of local time/space continuum since 1972.
Archicad 26 | iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) | 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 24 GB | Radeon Pro 580 8 GB | macOS 12.6

Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't really agree that there is a need for being able to "hide" single element on a plan or in a section. Or basically anywhere other than in the 3D view... and even there only when working on a model and when there is a need to quickly see some hidden construction.

And even in the 3D, there is already enough options to hide the unwanted elements - either by using appropriate marquee selection before opening a 3D view, 3D cutaway or when already in 3D - just by simply hitting Ctrl+A, deselecting the unwanted element and hitting F5 again.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Visibility could be a custom property assigned to any 2d/3d element...
and with a Property Filter View Option everything would be possible.
Anonymous
Not applicable
mbl wrote:
I don't really agree that there is a need for being able to "hide" single element on a plan or in a section. Or basically anywhere other than in the 3D view... and even there only when working on a model and when there is a need to quickly see some hidden construction.

And even in the 3D, there is already enough options to hide the unwanted elements - either by using appropriate marquee selection before opening a 3D view, 3D cutaway or when already in 3D - just by simply hitting Ctrl+A, deselecting the unwanted element and hitting F5 again.
MBL, I have 2 examples of perfect uses for the "hide " single element:

1) The firm I work for does architecture and interior design of high-end custom residential houses. This means some of the interior spaces(powder room, etc.) are too small to get a good rendering of without hiding things. Yes you can go to 3D, select all with ctrl+a, then deselect each element until you get to the view you want then save the view but it takes a long time and doesnt update if things change. As we all know clients change their mind so then you have to show EVERYTHING again and go through the above process. If you use a custom cutting plane, the rendering gets washed out by the sun. Since Revit lets you hide individual elements instead of isolate a selection the view is setup one time and updates when new elements are added, then if you want to hide something that was added you just hide that element or you can unhide something if that hidden element needs to be shown again.

2) The current project I am working on is too big to fit on the sheet (regulated by the county the project is in) at the smallest scale allowed when the site walls are on. These walls define outdoor showers, pool/other equipment storage, and other spaces that all contain elements I also need hide but want to keep them on the correct layer. I dont want 500 layers to be able to hide certain elements in certain views but not others.

These are just a few examples of how much more convenient and efficient this request would make things if it was added. Yes there might be times that things get hidden to work in a clean environment then the person forgets to unhide before publishing but that is where it is on each firm to have a process to check their drawings before they leave the office.