BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

overhaul of the Autocad translators

Anonymous
Not applicable
Archicad really needs to sort out the flaw in the translators. There are two options for importing DWG/DXF library objects. Unfortunatley it seems that the translator ignores the "3 D binary flag and insists on trying to convert complex objects to GDL script no matter what the setting.
I pointed this out on version 7 and the local distributor said it was passed on but nothing has happend on this in Ver 8.1
5 REPLIES 5
Djordje
Ace
Anyway we need the 2004 format now, and the OpenDWG libraries are out ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think the biggest improvement to the AutoCAD translators would be some way for pens and weights to translate properly. This largely seems to be due to the fact that a pen weight in ArchiCAD will translate into a pen thickness in AutoCAD which is very different. Not to mention the number of complaints i get from consultants.

Changing all the hairlines is the obvious answer but then you sacrifice the quality of the drawings.

I would like to see the translator create a seperate pen assignment file (at least that is what AutoCAD users call it) that when applied to a plot assigns all the relevant colours and weights. At least this way any consultant could print our drawings exactly as how we see them.

Maybe there is another answer but it is something that constantly causes me problems.

Mark.
Djordje
Ace
Mark wrote:
I think the biggest improvement to the AutoCAD translators would be some way for pens and weights to translate properly.
If you make a translation rule, they will.\

See in Tips&Tricks forum, posts by archiben.
Djordje

HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
I cannot find the message you are talking about but........

i dont see how it can be done. when we translate a pen the ArchiCAD pen becomes an AutoCAD thickness. Which is different in AutoCAD as they do not really use thickness, they draw everything in hairlines and assign a plot table (with assigned pen weights) only when plotting.

This is what i want available, a plot table that is saved as a separate file that can then be loaded into AutoCAD
Djordje
Ace
Mark wrote:
i dont see how it can be done. when we translate a pen the ArchiCAD pen becomes an AutoCAD thickness. Which is different in AutoCAD as they do not really use thickness, they draw everything in hairlines and assign a plot table (with assigned pen weights) only when plotting.
You can also work in harlines in ArchiCAD. Each pen you use also has a thickness assigned, right? So the concept is the same.

What you should do is assign pen mapping - which ArchiCAD pen color goes to which AutoCAD pen color at what weight and vice versa. If you work with a finite number fo consultants, and if they use a standard system, you should set up a translator for each, preferably using their template DWG (an empty DWG with all the layers and pens set) as a, well, template
Mark wrote:
This is what i want available, a plot table that is saved as a separate file that can then be loaded into AutoCAD
Yep, this can be useful!
Djordje

HP Omen
Learn and get certified!