BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

"Auto" numbering on doors and windows

Anonymous
Not applicable
Since doors are not always inserted in the most logical order for numbering, I'm thinking that it would be nice to have an option whereby when you get close to the end of the CD creation process, you could just select the doors (and windows) in a certain order and have the numbers change to reflect the new order.

With all the other outstanding issues, I realize this would be like icing on the cake, but I think it would help. Could also work with zones, and anything else where a more logical numbering order can be arrived at only later on in the CD creation process.
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable
This should be doable with API. Useful feature, too. What would it take, two days work for a programmer who's familiar with ArchiCAD API?
Or what it is worth for me, two days worth of unnessesary manual editing work saved in two years timeperiod.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sergio wrote:
Since doors are not always inserted in the most logical order for numbering, I'm thinking that it would be nice to have an option whereby when you get close to the end of the CD creation process, you could just select the doors (and windows) in a certain order and have the numbers change to reflect the new order.
You can do that now... After selecting doors/windows in the order in which you would like them numbered, just go to Calculate/Element ID Manager, set it to a Unique ID for Each Element; click Change ID's...

Works great! Take a look at the ID Format tab as well. You have lots of control over what the IDs look like and at what number/letter they begin.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just would like to add one thing here. The trick above works with Zones also. The problem is that what you want to change is the Room Number, not the Zone ID. So here's a trick...

Select the Zones in the order in which you would like the rooms numbered. Go to the Element ID Manager as described above. Go to the Interactive Schedule (Calculate/Interactive/Preview...). Once there, click Edit Settings.

If there is no Zone list under Schedule Settings, Duplicate any schedule and on the General Tab set the Element Type criteria to = Zone. For parameters to list you may put any you want but put ID (General category) and Room Number (Zone category).

Now when you click OK you will see both the ID (in the renumbered order) next to the Room number. Change the Room Number to = the ID number; click Apply Changes and all the Room numbers will be as you would like them.

Cheers,

Woody
Ted Taylor
Contributor
Woodster,

I am having difficulty in getting this to work. Probably not holding my mouth right. I am shift clicking the doors in the order that I would like them to be ID'd, then to "Element ID Manager" where I have element type set to Doors and "Unique ID for Each Element" radio button selected. When I hit "Change ID's",I get an "Element ID List" dialog box which doesn't tell me much, I click OK and the door ID's do change but not in the order that I selected them. I can't see any pattern in how they do change. Any ideas on what I'm not doing?
Ted Taylor
Atlanta, GA , USA
iMac (Retina 5K, 27", Late 2015)
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5 32GB
AMD Radeon R9 M395 2GB
OS10.14.2,
Latest Archicad 22
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ted,

This is what the Element ID Manager should look like when you click Change ID's. I just tried it about 10 times and it worked every time. Try it again after looking at this screen shot and let me know what happens.

Woody
Element ID.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Only other thing I could think of would be if you were selecting one door and going into the EIDM or using a fence to select them. But if you select the doors in the order in which you want them numbered, and open the EIDM with them selected, have the EIDM set as shown above, and click Change ID's, it should work. Works for me every time.

Works great too if you like to give doors with like properties the same ID.

Woody
Anonymous
Not applicable
Works fine if it looks like this as well.

Woody
EIDM.jpg
Aussie John
Newcomer
After giving up on this feature a while back i have given it some more investigation is does seem to work if you dont have element ID selected (as per Woodster's first screen shot).

Using the more logical option in the second screen shot it doesnt work
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
Aussie wrote:
After giving up on this feature a while back i have given it some more investigation is does seem to work if you dont have element ID selected (as per Woodster's first screen shot).

Using the more logical option in the second screen shot it doesnt work
I tried both ways out and they both seemed to work fine for me...not sure why yours didn't work

Dan K
Learn and get certified!