Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Rogue line showing in intersection of complex profile walls

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,
I have this problem I can't seem to solve. I've wandered about some posts here, but even after checking priorities, fills, reference lines and layers, I can't solve this.
These are three walls with all the same properties, same complex profile, same pens and layer. The Common Brick fill has a priority of 8, and the Empty fill has priority of 2.
The drawing beneath is replicating the location of reference lines.
If the lower wall's reference line falls within the thickness of the upper wall, that blue unwished line shows up.

Can anybody help me?
9 REPLIES 9
Barry Kelly
It's all in the way the walls trim.
Split the horizontal wall at the face of the inside vertical one.
So you end up with an "S" shaped vertical wall with the horizontal wall joining into it as shown.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry,

Your tip worked as advertised! Thankyou.
Nevertheless...
The first example I posted was a simplification of my real problem. A simplification I thought would translate the whole problem. It seems not.
I now post another image, and this one is a direct screenshot of my project. The green arrows show the start and end of my walls. And once I again I'm having trouble eliminating that pesky interwall noise.
Care to take a shot?
Barry Kelly
I think the picture explains how it works.

Basically you need all the reference lines to join.
A corner wall may trim beyond the length of the reference lines but the wall is not really there in the corner.
That's why no other wall can trim to it properly (see second image).

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Barry Kelly
Same image with auto wall and beam intersections turned off.
See how there is really no wall in the corner so you are not really trimming to anything.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Once again you solved it! Though... (!)
Duplicate the Profile or Composite while changing the reference line to some other place which is more convenient regarding the intersection we have to solve:
This seems like a totally inelegant solution, and not ver BIM. It forces me to have different profiles for exactly the same type of wall, which will make it harder for calculations, Find & Select, etc.

During my experiments, I understood that making all the reference lines collinear would solve the problem, but that would force me to duplicate profiles/composites. I would really like that this discussion could have a happier ending!
Anonymous
Not applicable
You do not need to duplicate composite walls. Just increase or decrease value for the reference line offset.
Walls_Reference Lines.png
Anonymous
Not applicable
Works as advertised. Offsetting the reference line per wall is certainly a much more elegant soution than duplicating attributes. I don't love it though.
Any way, in that particular wall intersection problem, I still have difficulties. I feel like I am starting to be a pain, but... (care to try an dsolve it?)
Barry Kelly
The four separate walls all need the reference line to intersect at the same point.
Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am quite pleased that this discussion isn't dead and I hope more people are learning stuff, do way I am. And I thank all the posters.
I tried Barry's sugestion, though it seemed too similar to my own previous post. This is what I came up with.
Would some kind of omniscient God explain this, please?