Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Layers AND Granular Management

Aurasphere
Advocate

So having layers has it strength for global management via combinations but exceptions for visibilty create headaches

Granular management (like the other package starting with "R") is also great but looses logical grouping and global management prowess

We need both

I kind of do it now when using the 3d window and detailing...you can turn off individual elements using (def) alt+F5

Why cant this be applied to floor plan where granular items can be switched off but still maintaining the power of layers?

Aurasphere_0-1710460028879.png

Aurasphere_2-1710460048526.pngAurasphere_3-1710460080332.png

There are a lot more stages in this detail, but you get the idea. There are no layers involved, they are just views with element/objects hidden by alt+F5

WE NEED THIS FOR THE REST OF AC!

Cheers 

Mark Wesse
AC26 | Win10 | Since v6.5r
Architerion - Architectural Systems Developer
Aurasphere - Acoustics
Building Biology - Human Compatible Architecture
"--- Every time...do it better ---"

14 REPLIES 14

Well - you always have GUID. And then there’s properties and classifications and IFC groups (sadly GS doesn’t seem to see any use in proper groups).

But the described workflow is perhaps even better supported by a selective clipping/sectioning functionality similar to what was introduced in Rhino8 and which would give continuous rather than discrete reveal.

Cheers

I found that anims are good for some stakeholders, but ultimately PDF pages dont cost and is easier (even when using continous type communication of detail), to keyframe the sequence and allow simple tools to nav ie page flip.

I can kind of do that now, have some GDL cutting objects that boolean selectively based on keyframe tweening

BUT

OF COURSE

There is an issue with updating objects during animation...well actually not objects, they work great

BUT 

Doesnt in any way update booleans so its currently useless although I have reported it.

I use r8, not for architecture but for grasshopper and parametric sound solutions use quadratic residue diffusion...its so cool 😉 such great tools now

Mark Wesse
Aurasphere - Acoustics

mthd
Ace

Hi @Aurasphere, Nice looking 3D details and I saw your annotations in a reply below. How do the tradies like them, do they prefer them over the 2D type ? I think it would probably depend if they were schooled in 2D or 3D.

You mentioned the BOQ’s process: “My initial job was implementing a fair bit more than a BOQ; the old listing system in Archicad is blindingly powerful...just a ridiculous layout process.” I find this interesting as I never went that far with AC. You are referring to the old Archi FM system ? 

I was schooled with a Tee and Set Square while Autocad was still in its infancy. To me a drafting machine was a major upgrade in my second year of schooling 😆.

I am trying to get my 3D work to be more and more detailed these days. BTW How did you model your M10 bolts in AC ?

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura

Hi @mthd 

re: details; Thanks...I still do both but depending, I publish differently. eg Structural engineer actually really likes them funnily enough...but you still need both for liability...it greatly reduces questions and phone/email which is all time/money and the investment just keeps growing/getting faster

I get pretty decent imaging now too which one of the building company tends to make a lot of use ie 3d rendered details for the building supervisors...without actually doing much extra so its quite cross pollinating

These arent finished by any means...just quick shots along the way but really helps clients...I do most modelling real time with client online so its quite spontaneous

Aurasphere_2-1710646729527.jpeg

Aurasphere_6-1710646870177.jpeg

kit prelim.jpg

Aurasphere_7-1710646905786.jpeg

Once its all set up, its pretty painless to do both...just a bit of think ahead.

re: BOQ, no archifm, its all in the listing database...its brilliant, seriously for full blown bills...you just attach property objects to items but once again either I did explain myself well or GS never got it, that users of course can create assemblies (property objects) but a lot of stuff is just mulitple types of components attached ie Supply and Install costs, not just objects...so they never added multiple objects...such a shame.

Like I said, the hardest thing is creating formatted output in Archicad, in the end I just made up a simple Access database so I could manage output. Here is an example from a company that used a masonry run off for ordering

Yeah I get it...so much moves so quickly thats for sure

the M10 bolts are just library parts...not sure where that one came from but there are couple out there...I used to code GDL etc but Im more focused on just automation and systemisation now as its the highest ROI for companies

Arhicad needs to concentrate a lot more the DTP and finishing some of the great potential sitting there...that listing engine is one of them

Mark Wesse
Aurasphere - Acoustics

BTW Re BOQ, I notice the Edit Database is not in the menu by default

Mark Wesse
Aurasphere - Acoustics