Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Labeling Properties

jimmynimmy
Contributor

Hi,

We have a selection of Properties for FF+E, with codes and descriptions in an Option Set like below :

jimmynimmy_0-1715304160236.png

For example, we assign the Option Set Property to a basin and use a Label to display the code.

jimmynimmy_2-1715304646768.png

This works great when you have something to associate to. However, without something to associate to - like if we used 2D linework instead of an Object, or have Details drawn in Worksheets - this system breaks down.

What I'm wanting to create is a Label which allows a user to select the value within an Option Set in a Property, directly in the label, without associating to an Element.

Kind of like below - instead of selecting the Property, you have the option to link to the value in the Option Set..

jimmynimmy_1-1715304631695.png

Is something like this possible?

Thankyou in advance for any thoughts

Operating system used: Mac Apple Silicon

6 REPLIES 6
Barry Kelly

No.

A property is associated to a classification and classifications are associated to elements.

So any element that does not have a classification (lines) can not have a property.

Labels can't read directly any properties, they can only get the properties associated to an element.

A property does not exist until it is associated to an element via a classification.

You could maybe create a label than mimics the property options, but then you would have to maintain those exact same options in the properties as well as the label, and otf course you will have to manually choose the option in the label.

You may as well just place an autotext label and type the text.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Thanks Barry.

An idea - I tried saving an Object with Autotext inside which links to the FF+E property. The idea was to apply the Property to that Object, with the hopes that the Autotext inside would update. But it doesn't work like that - it's not self-referencing. Is there a way to self-reference?

So your object had the autotext for the property you want.

Did you then associate that object with the correct classification?

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Yes, described below

jimmynimmy_1-1715312631119.png

Reading in the GDL reference, it seems only label can request properties.

So, as you have done for the basin object, it contains the property and the label can read it.

Seems you will always have to place a 'dummy' object that you can set the property in and then label that object.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
Nuge
Advocate

I use gdl objects for lines and fills,  that way i can assign properties to them.  it does take a bit longer to "draw" with them,  but the upside is having 1 system for all notes/labels.  works great

image.png

All elements are GDL objects (No Lines or Fills)

I use this object for the lines (i edited out the 3D section in GDL)

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/GDL/Dynamic-Polyline-base-code-object/td-p/198874?t=43721

and this one for the fills

Existing New Marker #1959

I also use the CI Tools detail element tool (Ci Tools 2D Custom Profile) tool for elements like the window frame profile etc

they work great but would love someone to code a better version of both of these to use for this very purpose

AC27 i9 11900K / 128G ram / GTX 3090 / D5 Render

Setup info provided by author