Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.
SOLVED!

Using split function on building material param. to list composite skins in schedules

Rastko Pecar
Booster

Hi,

The labels below show the IDs of some composite walls. The information shown is pulled from the composite name with the help some text formating, properties and split function. All works fine and label ID automatically update if I change the composite or the name of the ID. 

ID composites.png

The next step I want to make is list composite skins in a schedule. Schedule scheme is of a components type and lists building materials. Similarly to composites naming convention, I also use delimiters (- and /) to segment the building material name into: function in composite - building material - more info / material priority strength. For example, my fireproof drywall board is called: "cladding - gypsum board -  fire resistant / hi". 

If I then try to components schedule of materials that form my composites, the information does not come trough. Somehow the split function works on composites but not materials.  

materials.png

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help.

Operating system used: Windows 10,0,22631 build 22631

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
kmitotk
Advocate

Your split string expression property based on Laszlos suggestion works because the wall element is made of single Building Material. It works the same way for the composite name of a composite element (your composite IDs), but won't work for the BM name of each skin of a composite element. Instead of trying to split the BM name, I'd suggest using the BM properties (description, ID, custom properties, etc.) to list the skin information.

Kei Mito

Architect | Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager
ArchiCAD 26 & 27 JPN USA & INT | Windows 10

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Rastko Pecar
Booster

I stumbled upon this post during some random reading and followed Laszlos suggestion. Ive created a new property which converts building material parameter to string. The split function now works. The information from the building material name is split into categories as seen on the print screen:

properties.png

However, my schedule which is supposed to list these same categories still doesn't work:

schedule.png

suggestions appreciated!

Solution
kmitotk
Advocate

Your split string expression property based on Laszlos suggestion works because the wall element is made of single Building Material. It works the same way for the composite name of a composite element (your composite IDs), but won't work for the BM name of each skin of a composite element. Instead of trying to split the BM name, I'd suggest using the BM properties (description, ID, custom properties, etc.) to list the skin information.

Kei Mito

Architect | Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager
ArchiCAD 26 & 27 JPN USA & INT | Windows 10

OK, thank you kmitotk.

Have you tried classifying the material and requesting that information in the schedules?

AC26
INT 4019
maya
Rastko Pecar
Booster

yes, it works, I'm creating custom properties right now!

One dilema though: Because the specification of the building material (function in composite, product, manufacturer, ect.) will now be communicated by properties, the names of my building materials are losing specificity. And because ArchiCAD does not allow duplicates (building materials with the same name) I have a problem having two materials with the same physical properties but different material priority (for example: wood for roof construction which pierces trough the facade wall and wood ceiling finish which is weaker in priority than plaster of the same facade wall.

I could hardcode the material priority in the material name as before (such as: wood - spruce - hi and wood - spruce - lo), but this would get reported in schedule which I don't want (its a type of information relevant for modeling purposes only and it has no relevance for the building as such). Using the split was an elegant way of controlling which information to show/omit.

My first idea to solving this issue is using the material name for internal use only and moving the information I want to report to the building material ID. My building material name would thus be: wood - spruce - hi, and my ID "spruce wood". This would work, but I don't like duplicating the information entry because its prone to mistakes. That was the main reason for "automating" the IDs for my composites...

Any ideas?

Setup info provided by author