BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Create Assembling components in Archicad

SvetLeto
Contributor

I suggest adding a new "Assembling components" tool based on the Selection Palette tool.

The target is to be able to combine and group Archicad elements into Assembling components. Create assembly units.

Necessary:

1. Add to the functionality of the panel the ability to assign IDs to selected grouped elements.

2. Add the possibility of Grouping-Ungrouping Selection Sets, separate from the standard Grouping.

3. The selection should have its own attributes - the ability to select a Class and Properties.

4. Change a simple list to a tree structure (as in Archicad 26). In addition to the convenience of searching, this could make it possible to manage the independence of Selection Sets of the 2nd, 3rd (etc.) level using the position in the list tree. (for those cases when one Selection Sets is part of another Selection Sets).

5. Add the ability to use the ID and name of Selection Sets to the interactive catalog. At the same time, the 3D elements that make up the Selection Sets will have both their own and parent ID.

UPD:

Karl Ottenstein, I want to thank you for your response and interest in my proposal.

Answering your question, I want to clarify:
1. The assembled components are in the same file with the working model. There is no need to download a duplicate program.
2. Modules are best suited for implementing identical model nodes, since by changing the module we can immediately change all identical parts, which is a great convenience. Assembled components may differ from each other in their composition. Editing of each of them takes place on the fly, without the need to write and upload a separate file. This saves time and provides additional convenience.
3. As DGSketcher rightly noted, modules, as separate files stored on disk for secondary use, have big problems with attribute synchronization. The user, changing and improving his template, has to constantly make sure that they are up to date in the other attached files. While this process is not automatic and requires care and extra time.

2023-08-12_184558.jpg
5 REPLIES 5
Karl Ottenstein

How would this differ from and improve upon the existing "save selection as module" functionality?

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
DGSketcher
Legend

I think this is broadly in line with one of the longest outstanding wishes on the forum...

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Wishes/In-place-module-editing/m-p/4438

And yes, that is a request from 2003 with many more following it. 🙄

Perhaps one day we will get away from the requirement to go through the tedious process of saving out from the model and all the well know associated attribute problems and inefficient cluttering up of the project file directory with small component files that need quick editing in context with the rest of the model as the project develops.

We also need a robust container for one off assemblies as Grouping gets turned off and things are too easily moved even though they are part of a group.

Most days I have a situation where the lack of instancing makes my design workflow far more difficult than it needs to  be... The lack of progress on this issue is best described as frustrating.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

Karl Ottenstein, I want to thank you for your response and interest in my proposal.

Answering your question, I want to clarify:
1. The assembled components are in the same file with the working model. There is no need to download a duplicate program.
2. Modules are best suited for implementing identical model nodes, since by changing the module we can immediately change all identical parts, which is a great convenience. Assembled components may differ from each other in their composition. Editing of each of them takes place "on the fly", without the need to write and upload a separate file. This saves time and provides additional convenience.
3. As DGSketcher rightly noted, modules, as separate files stored on disk for secondary use, have big problems with attribute synchronization. The user, changing and improving his template, has to constantly make sure that they are up to date in the other attached files. While this process is not automatic and requires care and extra time.

I think that there is merit to this wish as grouping in AC is awfully outdated but I´m not sure that selection palette is a good framework to build on. There is a need to group for selection which is quite different from the need to group for information. Additionally the selection palette is really outdated and would be better integrated in a more efficient find & select.

But there is certainly a need to group for information. Being able to freely define such generic information entities as functional or constructive systems is in some sense the fundamental requirement of a modern BIM  application and it is really frustrating that it can´t be done easily in AC. Currently the IFC manager is as close as we get but the functionality should be made an integral part of modelling in AC.

@thesleepofreason wrote:

"There is a need to group for selection which is quite different from the need to group for information."

"Being able to freely define such generic information entities."

I like this assumption of "Grouping for information" if you ( as we accustomed ) clearly describe this approach we'd be so grateful,

As i understand what the original post is talking about and that already exist in other softwares like Bricscad.

AC 27 INT 5003/WIN 11
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB
Learn and get certified!