BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

modeling furniture and preparing documentation

eva vasileska
Participant

Hi Archicad people,

I've been using Archcad for architectural design and it's been going great. Now I'm trying it for interior design and I'm struggling to figure out the workflow. Any advice is appreciated.

I'm modeling custom furniture with slab tool and the wall tool but latter when i'm preparing the documentation I'm facing problems with the floor cut plane settings. I would like to have few floor views of the same room so I'm creating different floor views, each has different cut plane settings. It works fine with all the elements except the slabs and the walls, they are visible on each floor. How can I control this? Is there a workaround? 

If someone can share their workflow? How do u model the furniture? What do u do for different height floor representation?

I've tryed the morph tool but is unintuitive to model with it, almost impossible to control

7 REPLIES 7
Erwin Edel
Rockstar

Try modelling the horizontal parts with a tool that follows the 'floor plan range' for display. For example a beam. You can then set up views with limited floor plan range for each shelf.

Slabs are more of a 'always visible' type of tool for floorplans.

Unless you are modelling the furninture completely separate from the rest of your building model, I would not recommend making a floor plan for each shelf, but if it is a separate file, this might work.

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Erwin Edel
Rockstar

A beam can also be a complex profile, so it's handy for more elaborate shelf detailing too.

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5

Yes the complex profiles are quite handy - if you need some inspiration, here are some screenshots from our Template...

ST-CP-Joinery-KitchenFullCabinet.pngST-CP-JoineryKitchenBenchCabinet.pngST-CP-JoineryKitcheUpperCabinet2.png

macinteract
Design Technology Managers.
All  on macOS | since AC 6

Archicad Framework > Smart Template 27
Smart Tree, Transmittal and Universal Label and other smart GDL Objects
By Architects for Architects.
Eduardo Rolon

Segmented Beams and Columns are also good options.

Also based on the amount of detail you need you can start creating one file per furniture object and insert them as modules.

One column display cases examples:

EduardoRolon_1-1690544213966.png

EduardoRolon_0-1690544204169.png

EduardoRolon_2-1690544251923.png

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

This is really nice! great work and thanks for sharing

eva vasileska
Participant

Thx everybody. I tried the following, i create each furniture part with slabs and walls and then saved each individual piece as library part. The problem there is that this newly created library part doesn't seems affected by the different cut plane settings. even though it should be. Any ideas why is that?

The floor plan cut plane function does not work like that for objects. As default they are shown with symbolic top view regardless of cut plane height. 3D cutaway and 3D document can be used as a workaround.

Learn and get certified!