Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.
SOLVED!

Users shortcuts cutomization

Picard
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

Let the possibility for users to customize their own shortcuts based on one or more letters, e.g. D (for Drag) DD (for Drag a Copy) DDD (for Drag Multiple Copies).

17 REPLIES 17

Hello Eduardo,
Mr Picard uses Archicad since version 3.43 so he knows it pretty well. I know all about the actual shortcuts of the program.

But did you really read my post? 
As I teach Archicad one asked to me with question and I took it into account. Karl answered me and gave me the real reason why we can't type a succession of letters. 

Yes I did.

I was "jokingly" answering AllanP thus the FYI-FYI and the wink emoji, who was the one that posted the Windows shortcuts, with the MacOS equivalents so that any new/user could see them.

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

I'm sorry, but the responses from the moderators come across as passive-aggressive, which is disappointing, considering this feature has been requested for over 14 years.

It seems like Graphisoft isn't truly prioritising the needs of its customers and target market. Many designers are transitioning from the dinosaur (AutoCAD), and when you mention that typing with one hand is faster, I can't help but wonder, faster for whom? I've been using AutoCAD for 27 years, practically since I was a child, so typing feels like second nature.

If Archicad allowed double letters without requiring a control or shift key, it would significantly improve productivity. Being no different to the current system, allowing two-letter keys opens up another 26 command combos. It's frustrating to think that this delay in implementing such a basic feature has deterred many experienced designers, myself included, from making the switch sooner. I waited eight years! Streamlining this feature could make Archicad a more competitive leader in the market. 

Additionally, the lack of logic in shortcuts, like having to use CONTROL + E to rotate, could pose challenges for neurodiverse individuals. Simplifying shortcuts, such as using "RO" for rotation, would make them easier to remember and more intuitive.

Another thing I noticed is that switching from a command-based program trying to remember your logic to commands means I’ve lost 210mm of valuable design screen space to info panels. 

Buying a $200-500 Australia dollar keyboard when I’ve already spent 12k plus on software is a hard pill to swallow, especially in the (Australian) current high cost of living crisis with the industry significantly slowing down. Even more so, I needed a new screen to get valuable design space back and not be constantly zooming in and out. I can design on a smaller screen, but it takes more time. 

IMG_4069.jpeg

I hope allowing two-letter impute for shortcuts would at least be considered. 

1. For neurodiversity inclusion 

2. It wouldn't add any more lag than there currently is. 

3. Making it more accessible to switch, opening up more of the market share for Archicad 

Thank you for taking the time to read my response 

Anita,
Centred Home Pty. Ltd
https://centredbuildingdesign.com.au/
Archicad 27, Metabox Prime-S, 2x 32gb Ram, Intel Core I7-11800h 8-Core, Nvidia Geforce Rtx 3070 8gb Gddr6 Vram, 17.3" Uhd (4k), Windows 10
mthd
Ace

I like to use a multi button mouse and program a macro for some of the commands in Archicad to help me out a bit. I have a 3 button mouse and the middle finger brings up the layers. So are there other ways to program your keyboard or mouse till they find a way to simplify the most common commands in AC.

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura

Interesting that the moderators are against a time out since Archicad uses a timeout for value inputs. IAE: I'm also against a time out as my response time always changes.

I have used programs that allow multiple keys and I prefer them over the single key concept as it is much easier to memorize a multi key system than a single key system. The multi keys system allows for a hierarchical concept rather than just random keys which is inevitable when you have a lot of commands.  However, even two keys can be quite limiting if your trying to associate a key pattern to the literal command. More keys are better but just slow things down without a terminator key or a time out.

One solution is to add the terminator key for the sequence, but that would require a minimum of two key strokes for every operation which is probably also unacceptable. My solution is to also use a multi button mouse and also a Stream Deck which allows for a unlimited number of PB commands but does require that you take you hand off the key board for the Stream Deck. The plus side is that it allows a icon display and text for each PB which provides for a quick memory refresher. 

I don't think there is a "one size fits all" solution other than let the User select his mode from several options. This would not be difficult as with the user select system, the program algorithm is very small for all options and any perceived  time delay would be imperceptible. 

Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27

You can map them in archicad as stated and if you use reWASD you could them map them to single, double, and triple press.

Anita_Slocombe
Contributor

Does reWASD require a streamdeck or macro keyboard? Or is it possible to use a standard keyboard with all keys? 

Anita,
Centred Home Pty. Ltd
https://centredbuildingdesign.com.au/
Archicad 27, Metabox Prime-S, 2x 32gb Ram, Intel Core I7-11800h 8-Core, Nvidia Geforce Rtx 3070 8gb Gddr6 Vram, 17.3" Uhd (4k), Windows 10

Standard keyboard, any keyboard, I have a full game pad set up on my old phone and can use that as well. Pretty cool stuff. You can remap just about anything you connect to your computer.

The only things it has not recognized are my trackpad and touch screen and windows pen.