Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

IS/Excel

Anonymous
Not applicable
In my plan I have a series of parts that I need to list ascending with IS...
These parts are labeled by the user and are listed in IS using a common ID. What I need to see is....
A1
A2
etc.
A9
A10
A11

What I get is...
A1
A10
A11
A2
A3

I thought that I could fix it by resorting it in Excel after exporting. Unfortunately Excel sorted in the same manner. The odd thing is that if I type A1 into a cell in excel then grab the bottom right corner of that cell and drag it downward(fill down I think) it gives the results I'm looking for. This seems a little strange to me....any thoughts?
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have yet to see items sorted as you want them in Windows (creating an ordered list in Excel is different from sorting after the fact). You are looking for true alphanumeric sorting rather than the straight alpha sort that most things do.

The MacOS (since 10) handles this very nicely but not all Mac apps do. You may be out of luck unless you can separate the alpha from the numeric and concatenate them after two sorts (possible in a database but I'm not sure how to do it in the IS or Excel).
Karl Ottenstein
Easiest Windows solution is to pad the numeric portion with zeroes as needed... so A01, A02, ... A10, A11 etc...

Not what you wanted, I know...

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
You're right Karl, not what I wanted but I might be able to make it work. I understand whats going on now....thanks all for your help!!!

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!