Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

IfcCardinalPointReference

GOBA
Booster
Hi,

Does anyone know if ArchiCAD support IfcCardinalPointReference? What I mean is if it’s possible to export the Column Reference Axis into an IFC. And, also, if ArhiCAD is able to understand the IfcCardinalPointReference when it merges an IFC.

This is the information of IfcCardinalPointReference from BuildinSmart:

https://standards.buildingsmart.org/IFC/RELEASE/IFC4/ADD2_TC1/HTML/schema/ifcmaterialresource/lexical/ifccardinalpointreference.htm

I have done some tests and it seems it does not export that information, but it could be I am not doing it correctly.

Regards,

GOBA
ArchiCAD user since November 2109
AC24, Windows 10
11 REPLIES 11
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi GOBA,

With the help of my colleague, I've got an answer to your question. I'll try my best to explain it here:

In short, this is a limitation of ARCHICAD. The reason for that is, ARCHICAD deals with architectural models only, which means that it converts structural analysis models into architectural models as well.

The entity IfcRelConnectsWithEccentricity adds the definition of eccentricity to the connection between a structural member and a structural connection (representing either a node or support), which presents in the structural analysis but not architectural models.

In the future, we are working on connection between ARCHICAD's model and Structural Analysis Model. I hope that this feature will come soon to provide better support for communicating between the architect and structural engineer.

I hope this will answer your question. Feel free to ask me again if you have any questions!

Have a nice day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

GOBA
Booster
Hi mnguyen,

Thanks for the information. I am not sure if this future feature will help me because my structural software is quite special: it works with physical model and it generates itself the analytical model, internally. The IFC generated is physical. A satisfactory workflow is not simple. Anyway, once ArhiCAD offers that feature, I’ll study it, just in case.

Have a nice weekend,

GOBA
ArchiCAD user since November 2109
AC24, Windows 10

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!