Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Importing AutoCAD 3d model to ArchiCAD

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I've been trying all kinds of settings for DXF-DWG Translation setup but I cannot figure out if it is possible to import my model as I want it.

I'm using ArchiCAD 14 edu and I'm importing a AutoCAD 2010 3d model it goes neat into the Floor plan with correct measurements after checking floor plan and elevations. It also looks fine in 3d view.

My issue is that I don't know what to do after importing the object, as it is just a single object turned into a single layer. If I turn off automatically grouping and choose suspend grouping and then explode it in the 2d view it stops appearing in the 3d view. Everything becomes lines of the same layer.

How can I explode it so that I get object linked to the layers (an actual 3d model to work with) I import, instead of all lines linked to one layer??
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable
There is no way of importing the 3d data from an AutoCAD dwg with the layers as it is imported as an object which will all be on one layer.

Best you can do is to import objects layer at a time
Anonymous
Not applicable
If you have access to AutoCAD Architecture or AutoCAD MEP you can use either of them to export an IFC file. It probably won't have much intelligence and will add lots of parts to the embedded library but it will give you components you can select and snap to rather than just one big library part.

It will also create the necessary layers for the imported parts. This may be an awful lot of them especially if there are xRefs involved. Check this out before loading into your active project file.