Due to a scheduled maintenance, a maximum 20 minutes license delivery outage may be expected on July 6 2024 (Saturday) between 6PM to 8PM (CEST).
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

NY Times:"Revit Architecture, the industry standard"

Chazz
Enthusiast
Maybe eveyone knew or suspected this aready but it's different when the grey lady says it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/11/business/11gehry.html?_r=1&ref=technology

This is a fascinating article but here is the money quote:

Architects routinely use modeling software, but the latest version of Digital Project would enable them to try extreme designs for skyscrapers. While acknowledging that the Gehry software is impressive, Carl Galioto of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, a firm that has designed many skyscrapers, says that it is hard to learn and three or four times as expensive as a conventional modeling program. Revit Architecture, the industry standard from Autodesk, is listed at $5,495 on Autodesk’s Web site.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
72 REPLIES 72
Dennis Lee
Booster
Not trying to defend Autodesk here, but this imho is getting a bit far fetched. I think it is more plausible that people search work related software / things more when they are working in general. Seems like vectorworks and microstation does drop slightly on weekends too, but less severely, probably due to less volume overall. If anything, I think that graph tells me that people may have relatively more of a personal interest in Archicad, compared to the strictly business interest of Revit.

How many of you search for word or excel on a saturday afternoon?
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
Karl Ottenstein
Dennis wrote:
If anything, I think that graph tells me that people may have relatively more of a personal interest in Archicad, compared to the strictly business interest of Revit.

How many of you search for word or excel on a saturday afternoon?
I suspect that the ArchiCAD curve reflects more world-wide queries ... after all, Sunday in the US is already Monday in Australia, for example... 😉

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
I suspect that the ArchiCAD curve reflects more world-wide queries ... after all, Sunday in the US is already Monday in Australia, for example... 😉

Cheers,
Karl
That is a very reasonable explanation.
But the excel/word graphic contradicts it, because it is hard to believe that those two are a local (USA) phenomena.

If the dip in the curve where small (like in Microstation and Vectorworks) it would not make me wonder.

But it falls to half or less than, just like Word/Excel.

Sorry for being curious, it's in my nature, not taking data without questioning it...
😉
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
after all, Sunday in the US is already Monday in Australia, for example...
Karl, that's what I am saying... US is sooo behind...
::rk
Karl Ottenstein
Krippahl wrote:
But the excel/word graphic contradicts it, because it is hard to believe that those two are a local (USA) phenomena.
Ah, Miguel, you don't understand Americans well enough yet!

We're the country where 50% of the kids think we are the largest (land mass) country in the world, where Africa is a country, etc., etc.

So, of course we're the country where every time a worker wants to start Word or Excel, they have to Google it.

Cheers!
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
Krippahl wrote:
Ah, Miguel, you don't understand Americans well enough yet!

We're the country where 50% of the kids think we are the largest (land mass) country in the world, where Africa is a country, etc., etc.

Cheers!
Karl
... and New Zealand is part of Australia, when actually it's the other way around...
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
. and New Zealand is part of Australia, when actually it's the other way around...
yes if you multiplied the number of NZ sheep with the actual NZ land area. In fact you would be probably of the size of Jupiter in this case.
::rk
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
So, of course we're the country where every time a worker wants to start Word or Excel, they have to Google it.
At least they use computers over there
s2art wrote:
... and New Zealand is part of Australia, when actually it's the other way around...
I remember I was in college before I knew where NZ was... we were playing a family game of Pictionary, and I had to illustrate New Zealand. I started with a sketch of the globe, located Australia, and pointed to that. When that was getting me nowhere, I drew a head with very bad hair -- my sister replied "split ends" and again I pointed to Australia, and the immediate answer was "New Zealand!" -- success. Where upon my uncle asked "what the h*ll does New Zealand have to do with split ends?". Still one of my favorite bands.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC27 US (5003) on Mac OS Ventura 13.6.2
Started on AC4.0 in 91/92/93; full-time user since AC8.1 in 2004
Anonymous
Not applicable
Perception becoming a reality....

We are actually discussing switching over to Revit on a major project JUST to more easily integrate with our Engineers (who are just now taking the BIM dive for the first time). Not to offend any engineers here, but they tend to take the path of least resistance when it comes to upgrades. Everyone of them are former AutoCAD users. Autodesk is making a great push to bring them in and now that they have bought Green Building Studio, they are on a roll. Couple all this with LEED becoming a reality and you have a perfect storm.

I am having to defend the use of ArchiCAD to clients and at some point, we will have to ask ourselves, "What is Graphisoft doing to make energy analysis/energy modeling integrated into the main program?" Clearly Revit has the momentum and understand the market in our neck of woods. That we can still export XML to other packages (we know) but when the topic comes up during team meetings, we come across as "defensive" and "old school" to say.. "oh, we can export into a separate modeler." Compare that to a Revit team saying.. "it's part of Revit."