Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

NY Times:"Revit Architecture, the industry standard"

Chazz
Enthusiast
Maybe eveyone knew or suspected this aready but it's different when the grey lady says it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/11/business/11gehry.html?_r=1&ref=technology

This is a fascinating article but here is the money quote:

Architects routinely use modeling software, but the latest version of Digital Project would enable them to try extreme designs for skyscrapers. While acknowledging that the Gehry software is impressive, Carl Galioto of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, a firm that has designed many skyscrapers, says that it is hard to learn and three or four times as expensive as a conventional modeling program. Revit Architecture, the industry standard from Autodesk, is listed at $5,495 on Autodesk’s Web site.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
72 REPLIES 72
Anonymous
Not applicable
Chazz wrote:
We usually convert the PDFs to DWG and bring in actual linework ('course this only works on vector PDFs). It's a pain but its better that referring to paper.
I do so much file conversion as it is I prefer not to add PDF >> DWG to the workload. Of course a significant number of the PDFs are converted from TIFF (residue of service bureau practices), and with NTS drawings (like the steel shops I mentioned earlier) I really don't want to be able to snap to them.

BTW; I do appreciate your point of view. It can be tough to find the balance between blind boosterism (head buried in sand) and dire pessimism (ie. GS is doomed, Autodesk rules). It may be a bit easier for me than most. I am sufficiently annoyed and amused by all the programs not get get too caught up with either extreme.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Lets give Chazz a break.
He's just trying to make a point I believe, (wake up call if you will) to G.S.
But, lets not S__t in the house we live in either, ok?
Although I do say it is tempting at times?
I know I've done it myself:-(
Go ahead G.S. make my day, impress me with something
other than "a new tool to nowhere" just for the big cats
Remember Obama got there by grass roots, not by doing
what everyone else was.
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
He's just trying to make a point I believe, (wake up call if you will) to G.S.
Well I am not an GS employee but I am pretty sure they have got the message across.
If they screw up they will loose their entire livelihood... we are risking perhaps a bit of retraining and the opportunity to quarrel venomously on this forum.
::rk