Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

how to list two parts of 1 object in separate line item?

Erika Epstein
Booster
Hi,
I can make an FF&E schedule easily enough EXCEPT when I need two parts of one item to be listed on separate lines. For example instead of using the faucet that comes with a sink, I use separate objects and then can list by ID as separate line items.

I am having trouble with for example a toilet where the client wants a separate line item for the seat. Short of putting in a dummy object, is there a way to amend the code? Or?

Bathroom humor welcome if accompanied by a constructive answer
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
18 REPLIES 18
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Hey Karl,

When you get back...

[PREFACE]
I am not "bagging" on anyone or AC, just trying to explore this idea. All of a sudden, I'm interested in it... I did a lot of work with DATABASE back when there was no IS. Trying to teach people how to use was a chore. I don't relish going back there to accomplish this.
[end PREFACE]

It appears that Erika (and I) need to LIST these things WITH ATTRIBUTES, like Make, Model No., Finish etc.... Really the job of the IS, no?

So... Two minutes with the COMPONENT SCHEDULE, it would appear this clearly needs a lot of work...

1. Allow the component SCHEDULING of OBJECTS... why can't we do that?
or am I missing something? Why would OBJECTS be any different than walls or slabs in terms of needing to schedule their components.

2. It seems that extra VARIABLES can be used in the Schedule, so if you were consistent with their use, I believe there is a solution to itemize components within a schedule. For example, if custom 1 always equals mattress manufacturer. No, it's not pretty, but a step along the evolutionary schedule. A users keen editing of OBJECT TEMPLATES could set this up in a more clear manner. [side note: it's too bad the idea of CONTAINER is so locked in.. still wish we could edit objects within the container more easily]

3. I am still pushing for the ability to schedule LABEL OBJECTS... I see this [still, for the past 5years] as an IDEAL way to provide more "buckets" for information to stuffed into the BIM file. If GS can see the benefit of scheduling object components, then please don't leave out LABELS.

[FOOTNOTE:]
I am stuck in AC12; so if anything has been done in AC13, please let me know. I'll go borrow some money and upgrade!

---& please, please, please [GS] make the IS environment FASTER... it stinks....

Thanks for listening,
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Also,

Akin to Dave's use of dummy objects, I too have used / created objects for use in schedules...

For example, I always seem to need a more "cutting edge" sink than those provided... so I create it and place an TAP object for the faucet. Here, I found the TAP object for the AC Sinks and simply used it.

Again, still waiting for the day when we can schedule LABELS... Would help with a lot of ACCESSORY type issues...
Duane

Visual Frontiers

Geoff Briggs
Mentor
Another benefit of scheduling labels is the ability to run calculations within the label object. Since the IS cannot (currently) do anything with the values it spits out (other than summing columns) calcs could be performed in the label script then reported in the IS.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Erich
Contributor
vfrontiers wrote:
---& please, please, please [GS] make the IS environment FASTER... it stinks....,
God yes!! I would pay for the next upgrade myself for this!
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Anonymous
Not applicable
To my surprise I couldn't find any wishes for scheduling labels so I added one here.

(I only looked in documentation wishes, so maybe there is an old wish somewhere else.)
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Matthew wrote:
To my surprise I couldn't find any wishes for scheduling labels so I added one here.

(I only looked in documentation wishes, so maybe there is an old wish somewhere else.)
Thanks Matthew! I am sure I've posted one or two before... Maybe not in the right spot? or noted as a WISH...
Duane

Visual Frontiers

Erika Epstein
Booster
Dave, Yes I've been doing a work around of dummy objects but this really is as you know a nightmare to manage and we shouldn't have to do this.

Duane re"I am stuck in AC12; so if anything has been done in AC13, please let me know. I'll go borrow some money and upgrade! " save your money.

I'm still trying to get Karl's method to work, I think I'll just go find a tree to bang my head on it for a while. 🙂

As Duane described and we are all screaming about, we need these improvements in the ability to list and schedule to match real world needs. Other than cosmetic we have had no improvements in this area of archicad. BIM is here and we need it NOW.
Alas, not quite the same ring as ye olde "I want my MTV".
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erika,
Dave, Yes I've been doing a work around of dummy objects but this really is as you know a nightmare to manage and we shouldn't have to do this.
Yeah, I suppose... BUT.. I'm only talking four or five instances in a typical residential project. The vast majority of the objects I schedule do indeed appear as visible on the plan. BTW.. For your toilet example.. My schedule would show the toilet's seat part number in the 'Trim' column on the toilet's line. I don't actually use a 'dummy' object for the seat specification... It's a part of the toilet's specification.

Duane - You're at the pointy end of the spear from my perspective! I'm still using AC9!! I skipped 10 and 11, but do have 12. I've tried it out, but there's significant reliability issues in some very grass-roots areas, so I never migrated (did one job in AC12). Those may be fixed by now. Still, I love 9's 'race car' like handling.... It's definitely the 'sweet spot' iteration of AC for my purposes. Just sayin'.

One more thing, too... At this point, there's only a handful of native AC objects in any of my projects. Most of my objects are either custom-edited copies of GS objects, or scratch-built. The point is this... I've got a fully developed set of standards for all my parameters setup in object subtype GDL's, so if we're dealing with any sort of plumbing item, it's got the 'Plumbing Fixture Parameters' subtype checked, and all those parameters are present in the object, no matter what. The template has around twenty parameters, can be added to at any time, and will GLOBALLY change ALL plumbing related object parameter definitions. Wasn't sure if I communicated that in the prior post.

Interesting thread!
Anonymous
Not applicable
It Will be very nice to have keynote build into Archicad but for now there is simple work around.
Use automatic Labels and make schedule with two fields ID and Label Text.(image below)

You will also need to adjust setting for the label to show ID or create a new one with ID field shown as code and text field showing name of the object.
That method works well with objects, windows and doors. It is becoming a bit tricky with walls, slabs and roofs, as they don't have names just fills.
Screen Shot 2012-07-01 at 3.25.40 PM.png