Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Install Archicad 8.1 on Windows 7 machine?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am a retired Architect and was given Archicad 8.1 (with dongle) as a retirement gift many years ago. I have been running it on a Windows XP machine with no problems. However, I just bought a new Windows 7 machine an Archicad won't install. Do I have any options? A new version of Archicad is not an option for me on social security.

I can't believe how advanced AC is now, especially compared to AC 4.x on a Mac that I first learned on. When I watched a friend working on Revit a few years back, I was amazed how cumbersome it was! Even AC 4.1 as I remember it was easier than the Revit he was using.
2 REPLIES 2
Karl Ottenstein
I'm sorry none of us responded to your post, Bruce!

See if the steps for ArchiCAD 9 on Windows 7 here:
http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/technotes/operating-systems/windows-7/

help you proceed. If not, it is probably an issue with the installer not being compatible with Windows 7. If you can copy your entire ArchiCAD 8.1 folder from Program Files on your old XP machine onto your Win 7 machine...it might run if you have Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate and run in "XP Mode". Right click the archicad.exe file and choose Properties... then the Compatibility tab and check the box for "Run this program in compatibility mode for" ... and select "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)".

No guarantees. 😉

If you do manage to get the installer to work (vs copying your old XP program folder) ... then you'll need to run the latest update patch to bring 8.1 to it's final version with the most bug fixes:
http://www.graphisoft.com/support/archicad/downloads/USA81.html

The latest (last) library for AC 8.1 is also linked there.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for responding! I gave it a try and no such luck. I kind of suspected that it was a bit much to ask that a version that old work on a new computer. I've decided to keep my old XP box and use that when I have a project that I want to work on.