Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

USB>Parallel Convertors and Plotters

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Folks,

With the advent of laptops lacking parallel ports,and AC'ers still using plotters with only parallel ports, has anyone had success using the little piece of equipment, a USB-to-Parallel adaptor??

The specifics of it, a Dell Precision M70 (with USB without Parallel) and a HP Designjet 430 (without USB with Parallel) and a Sunsway USB adaptor..

There is no printing happening from any app...

Its difficult to find concrete info regarding setup issues etc from any source (HP, DELL, or Sunsway), so I'm left with a lack of communication between the two, even though when plugged in the plotter was detected...Possible keywords to the problem 'EPP' 'bi-directional' ???

Any info or user experience (obviously not specifically ArchiCAD) to resolve this would be appreciated..

Thanks
Alan
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
it might be worth looking into getting a an HP Jetdirect box which interfaces the parallel port to an ethernet network. probably easier to get working

bill
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the quick response...

JetDirect was an option considered but for a single person outfit, it seemed a little expensive but obviously if this is the way to go we'll have to go that way..

I would have preferred a simpler method i.e. get the USB 'thingy' working (having purchased one) but I'll dig more ...

Thanks again
Alan
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
Alan,

We used such an adapter a few years ago, by Belkin. If I remember correctly, you are on the right track. I think the problem was getting the right settings in the software. The "bi-directional" setting was the solution for us (I think). That was several years ago and am relying on my rapidly aging memory. Wish I could be more specific.

Steve
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Steve,

Thanks for the input, its something more I can look for..

In trying to source other pieces of kit to fix my problem, I found (oldish) PCMCIA>parallel cards and the issue of EPP and bi-directional data transfer sprung up...

Its gettting the settings to appear on the dialog that's the problem

Alan