Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Fill or Pattern Line in Archicad

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello there.

I am slowly moving from Allplan to ArchiCad (13)and I have to say that I am quite impressed with ArchiCad. I have one question (one for today). How does one draw a fill/pattern line? IE: red application boundary.

Many thanks

O
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sometimes the really basic questions are the hardest to answer, not sure exactly what you are asking:

To draw a 2D line, I would choose the polyline tool from the toolbar, then click on the settings to access the pen color and style. Then draw. If this doesn't make sense to you, then click on the help button, find polyline and then click on the "Working in Tool Settings Dialog Boxes". That link explains the common features of working with AC "tools".

Please work through the interactive training guides, available via the help menu. Start with Essentials, the others are all good. Do not just watch the tutorial, open the related files and work though each action as they demonstrate them. Also, stop and dig deeper, look into the other tool options that may not have been used in that step, but you see as being available. I notice that the passive learners don't seem to get much out of the tutorials, but they are good - if you work it.

Snap
PS BTW, please go to the profile area and create a signature that describes your AC versions and the operating system. This is what you see at the bottom of my post.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you Snap for your answer.
I spent the last weekend in front of the computer and I can now say that I am able to draw a basic house in Archicad. Back to my question. I dont know about US but here in Ireland, when you apply for a planning permission, you will have to outline the application site with a thick red line. In AutoCad i can draw a Pline, in Allplan I have the option of using a fill line. I am sure that there must be an option in ArchiCad to create a pattern line or better said a line on which I can apply a pattern. Any idea how can I do that??
Anonymous
Not applicable
Not sure how wide you need it but,
one way is to make a custom pen extra wide.
Options>Element Attributes>Pens and colors.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Something like this.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I would place a fill pattern of type solid in red. Then offset fill whatever thickness you want and subtract fill 2 from fill 1. OR use a fill of 75, 50 or 25%. The subtract offset is a magic wand + SpaceBar sequence.

Snap
Dwight
Newcomer
ANOTHER WAY:

Make a custom line type using five parallel lines closely spaced.

When used with an adequately fat pen, the five lines merge into one fat line.

The benefit of this is dashes without rounded ends.
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
Short segments displaced diagonally make diagonal dashes
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Nice tip Snap.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you all. I'll give it a try.