Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

IFC2x & IFC2x2 Import

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello All,

I am having trouble importing IFC2x and IFC2x2 models into a later version of Constructor but not with an earlier version of Constructor. The add-ons are from Graphisoft/Support/IFC.

I am using GSConstructor_Ext1_PR4_USA_05-29-06. The original Constructor is 1-1 (I believe) right off of the CD in a yellow cardboard case. I model MEP work (along with everything else): as far as I know files created from the two versions of the same program are NOT compatible.

Ok, so I now have a BIM model from SDS/2 (structural steel program for subcontractors) that outputs into CIS2 (a BIM file format) that has been converted to IFC2x by a NIST (US National Institute of Standards)converter progam that as been opened as a BIM tagged model from within Constructor 2005 1.1 using plugins (add-ons) provided by Graphisoft that are meant for ArchiCAD9.

AND I have a BIM model of the same project (including the design team's structural steel . . . . but not the subcontractor's structural steel) using Constructor 2005 Ext1 R4.

AND I can take both models and import them into the same 3d space within LightWave 9. As a geometry only solution this is great. I can make that geometry dance to whatever beat I or my compatriots can imagine. Note: geometrical accuracies of a few ten thousands of an inch are carried through from beginning to end.

BUT for construction purposes I need to work with BIM Models and LightWave 9 doesn't carry-through the required tagged information.

Please help me from within the Graphisoft environs. Suggestions that I resort to an expensive dead-end file viewing program are not acceptable.

Many thanks-advance

Riff Masteroff
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello All,

Zsolt Orszagh of Graphisoft (Hungary) is addressing the problem. No results as of yet.

Sorry if I confused anyone with my posting. Technical stuff is hard to write about.

Riff Masteroff
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello All,

Tibor Szentesi of Graphisoft Hungary fixed the bug. He modified the addons provided by GS/Support/IFC so that a version does work with the latest version of Constructor. Will test this within hours.

Just mumbling to myself here: Have had no comments from the greater Graphisoft community of users.

Riff Masteroff
__archiben
Booster
Riff wrote:
Just mumbling to myself here: Have had no comments from the greater Graphisoft community of users.
keep mumbling! you will probably find that not many of the users in this forum have had much experience with the entire constructor platform, hence no comments from the greater community.

but it's always useful knowing what's going on in other facets of the platform, so thank you for posting your findings and fixes!

cheers!
~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Ben Frost,

In my opinion, deep interoperability between very different applications is ..ugh... important. Yes, we can transfer geometry information quite nicely. but.... Owners will soon want more than that.

I deeply respect Graphisoft for recognizing the need, and working to develop a leading edge integration within their applications.

I may be abit early in my mumblings. I predict many posters in this set of forums will become more interested in time.

With respect,

Riff Masteroff
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Riff,

I understand you pain. I am also working on a BIM project, and trying to get this interoperbility running smoothly.

On our project we are working in GS Constructor (ext1 PR2), our M+E Engineer is also working in Constructor, our Structural Engineer is working in TEKLA, and our QS is working in Estimator.

Some of my observations so far on the IFC (IFC 2x3) conversion:
When you import IFC with Constructor the conversion is o.k., but the beams and columns convert to objects instead of ArchiCAD native objects. When you import with AC10, IFC columns come in as ArchiCAD columns, however the columns import as objects.

I am hoping when the new Constructor comes out the IFC import/export will be the best to date. But untill then.......well we just have to wait.

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!