Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Leaning walls in ArchiCad?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is it possible to create walls at an angle to the floor other than 90 degrees?
25 REPLIES 25
Dwight
Newcomer
While elements can tilt in plan, to make a tilted wall that retains the same editability as a wall element - in particular interaction with doors and windows, one creates a really thick wall and trims it down using the Solid Element Operation and roof planes or other elements as cutters.

For less-sculptural solutions: A battered wall or a canted wall element can be added to the faces of a wall - find these tools under Extras>Accessories>Wall Accessories.
These tools perform operations in plan view on selected walls.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you, I'll experiment with these methods.
Dwight
Newcomer
We are quick to help people on this forum when they use an eye affliction for a screen name.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Eye affliction? Oh well. I got the name from the latin name of a plant, but I don't suppose it matters. 😉

Or is this a hint that I should use my real name?
Dwight
Newcomer
Just joking.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ah ok 😉

So you use Lightwave? With ArchiCAD? What export-import workflow do you use?
Dwight
Newcomer
I have it but am not totally current...... see:

http://buyer.pcpro.co.uk/buyer/macuser-labs/65214/lightwave-3d-8.html

LW had several options, but the above article makes reference to import problems with the latest version.

OBJ seemed to cope with surfaces the best...... but LW is a slow way to make renderings as it is neither quick nor easy to learn.

LightWave is strong for computer imaging artists - it makes very "Rich" images.... but it is not time-efficient.

Do you use it in your other work?
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah, I use LW (7.5 still, haven't upgraded) for modelling and rendering. I've used other 3D apps as well, but I find LW scenes easy to set up, and although the renderer isn't that fast I can usually get the results I want. I know it's not the first choice of render option for ArchiCAD, but as I have a license and know how to use LW it would be good just to get it working for the time being.

I haven't seen an OBJ or 3ds export possibility in ArchiCAD, but then I am very new to the program. From AutoCAD I've usually exported as 3ds, and that has worked fine.
Dwight
Newcomer
from the 3D windo "SAVEAS":
"wavefront" for "OBJ
and
"3DStudio" for "3DS"

If myosotis is "forgetmenot," [myosotis crepusculatum] then call me "alleno"
Dwight Atkinson