cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Railing issue with L Shaped Staircase

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've used many stairmakers before, they all fail to create a correct looking railing for a L Shaped staircase with winders. I was hoping ArchiCAD's new railing tool could offer a solution, yet after playing with the settings for hours, I still end up with an ugly turning. I've tried editing the railing but to no avail.

It seems that most of the stairs in the demo have landings instead of winders, could it be that the algorithm for railings on winder staircase isn't well tested? Why won't the railing automatically add a vertical segment to the top rail to connect to the post on top of the winder as done in real life? Or have I missed something?

Many thanks!

Screenshot (7).png
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks again, your screenshots made it very distinct, I totally have everything under control now

My mistake was that I placed the two nodes on top of each other in 2D instead of 3D, resulting in them merging. By placing the nodes in the corresponding positions in 3D the railing behaves in the same manner as yours.

During the operation, one of the node will control both the upper and lower L baseline, the other node will control only one of the two base lines, which makes things a bit confusing, but as long as you place them in the correct positions things will work out.

One of the annoying things is that in railing edit mode the segment and nodes are hidden by default, I always have to hide the post and balusters first and then show them
Barry Kelly
alexwang32 wrote:
One of the annoying things is that in railing edit mode the segment and nodes are hidden by default, I always have to hide the post and balusters first and then show them
When you go into 'Edit' mode you can right mouse click on the 'Segments and Node' visibility icon in the control panel (is that what they call it?).
This will hide all of the railings, posts, balusters, etc., and show just the segments and nodes.

Of course you can manually just turn on/off what you need as well.
So you can have the segments and nodes and just the railings or posts on.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11