Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

The detail tool.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am examining use of the detail tool within our practice. I would be grateful for peoples comments on the advantages and disadvantates of its use. In particular I would like to know how I can link a marker to an existing practice standard detail drawing...I can't seem get it to do this...the browse button does not seem to let me sellect from outside the project.
6 REPLIES 6
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
Ben,

With the detail window open, I "import" our existing archicad details. Then any modifications to that detail take place there.

Steve
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Ben,

I'd like to see this ability as well. Of course we'll need to be able to "keep track" of it in plotmaker so the bubbles have the correct info.

I am dreaming of a way to keep all those "cookie cutter" detail OUT of the plan file, yet referenced via the detail tool.

Also, someday it would be nice to have the detail tool CUT thru as a section. In the states, we do a lot of ROOF DETAILS by cutting in the roof Plan..

Wish you could make it to ACUWest!
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hmmm, that's what I was afraid of. The practice I'm working for has huge projects and it's a constant battle to keep the file sizes down. It would have been good to be able to reference an external drg.

I would have loved to get out to ACUE west but my new work is keeping me very busy!
__archiben
Booster
Benedict wrote:
The practice I'm working for has huge projects and it's a constant battle to keep the file sizes down.
ben

we also work on large projects and keeping the file size down has been an issue for me for a while now.

this is slightly off your original topic, however i recently discovered that turning off the option to "Save Navigator Preview Data With Project Files" in "2D Redraw Options..." drastically cut the files sizes down - in one case from 88MB to 38MB !!!

see archiGUIDE
http://www.graphisoft.com/support/archicad/archiguide/Filesizegrowsdramatically.html

this helps immensely with opens/saves/send and receives! it is also extremely effective where you have a lot of section/detail windows and many viewsets generated from them with a LOT of 2D work in them.

HTH
~/archiben

(djordje - more shameless promotion, but what about putting this in the tips section? i think that it is an extremely important tip to know. i also spoke to the guys from graphisoft whilst i was at the winter school about this option being OFF by default.)
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Miquel Garcia
Participant
~/archiben wrote:
i recently discovered that turning off the option to "Save Navigator Preview Data With Project Files" in "2D Redraw Options..." drastically cut the files sizes down - in one case from 88MB to 38MB !!!

(djordje - more shameless promotion, but what about putting this in the tips section? i think that it is an extremely important tip to know. i also spoke to the guys from graphisoft whilst i was at the winter school about this option being OFF by default.)
Wow! I amb beginning now a new project (the rehabilitation of an ancient building) and I was concerned by the file size 9.4 MB only the base building. Changing this preference and saving changes the size to a 2.8 MB
Great Tip
Miquel
Capella & Garcia Arquitectura
AC18 - AC21, iMac 27" 3.1 Ghz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram, OSX 10.13.1
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Holy Gigabites, Batman...

Single Family Residence @ Schematic Phase = 167mb
After disabling the navigator info = 60mb....

I know what I'm doing all day!
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop