BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Using Leica 3D Disto with Archicad

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

We have just started working with a Leica 3D Disto to measure some rooms and we are having a little issue. The Leica software can export DWG, and DXF files. If I view them in Autodesks DWG veiwer on their website, I get a 3d representation of all the points.

However when I open that file in Archicad I only get the floorplan view. Is there anyway to get that data in a 3D format other than merging it as a library part.

The reason I don't want to merge it as a library part is that when I do that it's all one big object and there isn't a way to pull out individual elements.

Can anyone point me in the right direction where to start looking to solve this problem.

Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5
Orthograph makes a DISTO compatible app that will create IFC files from your survey.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
B_E_A_T_
Advocate
What "Translator" (bottom of file import-menu) are you using?
(òÓ,)_\,,/

www.studiov2.be

Archicad 24/25/26
Rhino/Grasshopper
BIMcollab ZOOM

>>> Read my book!<<<
Anonymous
Not applicable
I tried Othpograph & found it to be a very hard to use & expensive app that I now do not use, they have also updated the app & changed the name so I cant get the new version even if it has improved.

Try Redstick, not sure if it does 3D, but is really easy to use & only $15, I import the PDF to AC & explode then trace over the walls in next to no time.
at the risk of sounding like an Orthograph shill, I've found the app has gotten easier to use and the tech support has never been an issue. In fact when I first bought the app they skipped me and walked me through it. That offer stands, as I've discovered wen updating.

I had to find my purchase receipt from the App Store to update to the current version. They now have a subscription model (no my favourite notion, but there appears to be an option to use it on an as needed basis), but my update included use of the tool for the next year.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Anonymous
Not applicable
I just found it ridiculously fiddly & hard to do basic tasks.
I managed to draw out a box of walls, but if the next room was slightly stepped it or I could not get it to stay stepped, it would always snap back to line up with the first wall.
Considering how much it cost it should have been a lot better than that.
So I'll stick with Redstick unless something better comes along.
Glad to hear that somebody gets on with it though.
Learn and get certified!