Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

CORONA render add-on for ARCHICAD in the making...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello to the ARCHICAD Community! New to this forum but an old-timer AC user, since v. 6.5...

It was on last month's CHAOSGROUP totalCHAOS event that an announcement was made by Renderlegion representative Mr Adam Hotovy that they are already working on a CORONA plug-in(add-on) for ARCHICAD.

You may forward to 50:50 in the video on ChaosGroupTV youtube channel. It is called: Total Chaos 2018 — Opening keynote and below is the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd5JYd69lBU

As you watch, take a look at what is happening on the video display wall in the back.

You'll probably notice the CORONA guys wanted some feedback but I am more than sure that they didn't get it on this venue as totalCHAOS is for CG dev's and CG artists. So making CAD/BIM announcements on CG events is a good idea but stands zero to no chances to catch up.

I think it would be massively great if the ARCHICAD Community and/or GRAPHISOFT provide some meaningful and useful feedback that could boost up this CORONA project.

A top performance BIM + a top performance render engine sounds like dynamite to me.

So, I'd repeat Mr Hotovy's question 'What do you think?'
58 REPLIES 58
Anonymous
Not applicable
A 15 min rendering of a very simple scene. Needs more populating with stuff and adjusting materials but looks pretty decent... The chair texture had to be a translucent white mesh, but does not look like such...
That's a great test render.
Probably try to reduce the opacity texture size for the chair mesh to get it to look more like a mesh.

Here's a couple of test renders I ran myself and I did side-to-side comparisons of the same views that I had previously rendered in the 3ds Max plugin of Corona.
The 3ds Max versions - which are obviously more polished and better materials and better IES lights - are at the bottom in each case and the ArchiCAD plugin versions - which were taken straight from the Frame Buffer interactive renderer after a some half-hour to hour and a half cooking in the background - are the ones on the top.

All in all not too bad for an alpha version of a plugin with most of the features still to be implemented.

....and the second one. I liked this one much better even without the extra work on the materials and lights.

Here's another side-to-side comparison of ArchiCAD Corona Plugin test render (VFB interactive image, ~20-30 mins) at the top to the original 3ds Max Corona plugin version at the bottom - but this time of an exterior view.

I obviously spent a bit more time on the original image with some post-processing in Photoshop to make the colors pop a bit more and do a bit more sharpening, and I had also spent more time on it on the materials which look far superior, whereas in ArchiCAD I did minimal adjustments (like with the glass and metal) but not as much time.

.....this plugin has great potential.
The closest to a simple 'point-and-click' render engine I've ever worked with.
(Maxwell comes close, but the render times with that were absolute torture just to get a clean image.)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Loving the tests here, they look great!

Just in case anyone has been eagerly waiting, the update is out today, full details and download at: https://corona-renderer.com/forum/index.php?topic=22536

Thanks for putting Corona Renderer through its paces
Anonymous
Not applicable
3min render(draft) ( 1 hdr - Denoise)
Anonymous
Not applicable
2min render(draft) ( 1 hdr - Denoise)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Testing materials in Corona.

Best Regards
Vasilis
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone!

I downloaded the file 'corona-archicad-alpha3-daily-2018-11-23' and when I try to install it I get an error (Win10 x64):

Anonymous
Not applicable
As the error message states your CPU in incompatible, what are your computer specs, you should add this to your profile
Anonymous
Not applicable
sboydturner wrote:
As the error message states your CPU in incompatible, what are your computer specs, you should add this to your profile

Oh yes, sorry, I forgot to write my computer specs:

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T, 2800 MHz (14 x 200)
Asus M4A89TD Pro/USB3 (AMD 890FX, AMD K10)
16384 Mb DDR3 (2x Samsung M378B5173QH0-CK0 4Gb + 2x Kingston 9905471-009.A00LF 4 Gb)
nVIDIA GeForce GTS 450