Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Visualization & visual language - Conversation & feedback

Illes Papp
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

Greetings Everybody,

Visualization and the visual language as a whole is a crucial phenomena when we communicate our ideas to the clients. Should that be vectorial, artistic, non-realistic, photo-realistic, 2D or 3D from classic quick shaded representations to high-end VR or XR, most of us would agree that the way we communicate our ideas is truly essential.

I would like to start a dedicated conversation and hear your feedback on this topic. Please let me know:

• What type of visualization do you do? (Quick Shaded, Rendering, Animations, Real-time visualization, ...)
  • What is your current workflow for visualization? (In-house, Outsourced, Partially Outsourced, ...)
  • What are the main challenges or obstacles in your current workflow?
  • What third party solutions do you incorporate in your workflow if you do any?

Let me know if you have anything else in connection to this topic. Let's start the conversation.

Illés Papp
GRAPHISOFT Senior Product Manager
50 REPLIES 50
maro
Booster

1 - Photo-realistic renders

2 - In house

3 - Better import for models, some improvement between AC - Octane Render (round edges don't work correctly)

4 - Octane render

abdelaziz
Expert

Hello, Illes

to be short I like the Cinerender rendering engine the problem that prevents me from working with cinerender

for example: in CINEMA 4D there is an option that is super handy, it is the possibility to copy the content of a channel and paste the other one which makes the creation of textures much easier, this is something that can be found on Twinmotion, the software I use today, thanks to its super engine, PathTracing (physically correct rendering) which can render an 8K image in 8 minutes, which makes the use of REDSHIFT in Archicad really unnecessary.

in my opinion Graphisoft should turn to another graphical aspect of the software
for example

the display of the different annotations (3D label,and different measurement options) in real-time 3D navigation, I present the project in 3d to the client, the client wants to have precise information on a good to steal it, I apply a 3d label and the information is visible directly without passing by section documents and facades or even 3d document the information to be visible in real time 3d 😉

3D in the center of the document, have real Documents (sections, facades, Document3d ...........) in real 3D, with all the annotation options to be able to execute the standard graphic effects of the AEC, PAO, CAO, DAO market
example: ambient occlusion effect all software offers this graphic option , Archicad NO
Glow effect , sandblasting glasses ,.............
we no longer want to use another solution such as PHOTOSHOP for our facades and elevation a very powerful GRAPHIc solution from Graphisoft

AMD Ryzen 5950x
AMD RX 6750xt
AC27
abdelaziz
Expert

What type of visualization do you do? 

Quick Shaded: Archicad

Rendering: TWINMOTION 2022

Animations: TWINMOTION 2022

Real-time visualization: TWINMOTION 2022

What is your current workflow for visualization?

In-house, Outsourced

What are the main challenges or obstacles in your current workflow?

every time I want to make an elevation or a 3d document for an architectural competition I have to put an image rendered by Archicad of the ambient occlusion in layout under my elevation to have a more convincing and readable result for the jury because often the jury is not an architect and does not understand the elevations

AMD Ryzen 5950x
AMD RX 6750xt
AC27
jl_lt
Ace
  • What type of visualization do you do? (Quick Shaded, Rendering, Animations, Real-time visualization, ...)  Depends on the project, the stage of the project, how we want to show it and the available resources. We try not to get fixed in one particular style, so we are equally happy with either quick cell-shaded and realistic renderings. We do a lot of schematic isometrics directly out of the model with 3d documents.  We only provide animations if the client needs it for selling purposes, otherwise we think a video is a very limited way of showing a project. We also avoid doing real time render showings  because people get distracted, but we do show them the 3d model directly as you see in Archicad.
  • What is your current workflow for visualization? (In-house, Outsourced, Partially Outsourced, ...)   Most are done in-house with the ocasional outsourced images when more quality is needed. Even with outsourced images we still do the final editing and work with the 3d artist to position the camera and other details. Twinmotion has been a game changer, please Graphisoft make peace with them
  • What are the main challenges or obstacles in your current workflow? So far, with Archicad it has been quite the enjoyable experience, either for renderings or more diagramatic images like sectioned isos, but it took a while to get those isos more or less right with graphic overrides.
  • What third party solutions do you incorporate in your workflow if you do any? Twinmotion on AR22. The render company we work with use sketchup/3dmax and vray, but they import our archidad models.   Also, Personally, and without using it to its full potential, i find the Archicad standard renderer quite enjoyable for quick images or "illustration style" images. I would definitely like an option to get outline rendering or cell shaded out of the renderer with perfectly straight lines (maybe im missing some setting in the ink line renderer).  

You realise that the free use of Twinmotion for 2 years was like giving a crackhead a free hit till they got fixed on it. It is a perfect sales tactic. They have not got issues between them, it is just business. Graphisoft still has the connection to Twinmotion.

Nathan Hildebrandt fraia
Director | Skewed
AC6 - AC27 | WIN 11 | i9-10900K, 3.7Ghz | 32GB Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX
Petar
Booster

I would put effort in creating better looking 3d window inside Archicad, add some ambient Occlusion, shading improvements etc.. it will be hard and probably loosing strategy to compete with some professional rendering engines out there. But we use Archicad inside 3d window extensively (its one of Archicad strengths -ability to work on the project directly in 3d)

Yes. I was talking about the livesync functionality for Archicad 25. We havent really tried the datasmith due to some very negative comments and not having too much time of lately, but as im reading right now it works more or less the same. We just have to pay now, which is actually worth it with twinmotion

Hence my comment. There is still connectivity between the tools. I personally investigated it when the option first came up to use it for free. I decided to pay for Enscape instead as it aligned better with my workflows. 

Nathan Hildebrandt fraia
Director | Skewed

Hi 

how to make the Archicad file not become large? because Enscape's textures are generally more greedy and objects also even in low resolution, how to use the material editor? the search for the texture is done by texture name, there is no eyedropper system? to recover the texture and edit it, frankly between Epic game or Chaos Groupe I much prefer Epic Game

AMD Ryzen 5950x
AMD RX 6750xt
AC27

Enscape doesn’t make the file large? I have delivered around 30 projects on tight timeframes using it. It doesn’t make file too big. Textures are only as detailed as you make them. Objects are proxies for use in Enscape. They are not of benefit in Archicad except you can accurately place them within Archicad rather than being in a separate platform. Material editor is directly linked to Archicad surfaces. Really simple to use. Enscape material editor you use if you want a higher level of quality in your material representation than from Archicad. 

and in the end it is just preference right. Twinmotion and Enscape is just like Archicad and Revit. It just comes down to your preferred workflows. It works very effectively for me and it brings me projects and revenue, and my clients are blown away. And if Twinmotion does the same for you then that is great.  

Nathan Hildebrandt fraia
Director | Skewed