Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy and Paste in 3D

Karl Ottenstein
We need the ability to copy elements from the 3D window of one running AC session and paste them into the 3D window of another running session.

Since I'm talking about two sessions (two files), I'm putting this wish in the Cooperation Wishes forum, rather than User Interface. 😉

I managed to delete some elements in my model (first time, knock on wood) and could see them clearly in 3D in an old file. Without wanting to figure out which stories these elements were on, I wanted to just select them in the 3D window, copy, and paste them into the 3D window of the screwed-up model. No go.

It is surprising that we do not have this ability to copy from 3D via clipboard since we can do it from plan. [We do have the ability within the 3D window to drag copies of existing elements by tapping Ctrl/Command during the drag.]

So, how about it: copy/paste from/to 3D window anyone? 😉

The corollary wish is for save-selection-as-module (and merge) to work in 3D.

Karl
23 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable
there is workaround. - In 3D mode, select the whole model(or parts you wish), then group them. Go to 2D plan view, and select one of the grouped elements(it will select the whole group) then ctr-c and paste into the new archicad instance in plan view again... there you go. Just fix the story heights, elements visibility and you should be ok.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I suspect Karl, who originally posted this wish, would disagree with you Haiku, partly because of the problems inherent with your own statment, "Just fix the story heights, (etc.)"

If you read through the earlier posts, Karl says,
"In this wish, the elements can be on multiple stories (sort of the point of working in 3D, actually). Even if elements were selected in plan, we would not know which plans (plural) were involved ... and AC can only select elements on one plan view at a time anyway. "
Paul King
Mentor

I would like to even copy and paste within the same project in 3D! (for example copying elements scattered across a number of stories)

Barry Kelly
Paul wrote:
I would like to even copy and past within the same project in 3D! (for example copying elements scattered across a number of stories)
You can't use copy & paste in 3D (not sure why not) but don't forget you can drag copies in 3D.

It would also be nice if we could 'save selection as module' in 3D as well as in plan, as that would allow us to merge the module into any file.
But I guess this has potential storey issues which is why it can't be done.

Barry.
Paul King
Mentor
Barry wrote:

You can't use copy & paste in 3D (not sure why not) but don't forget you can drag copies in 3D.

Barry.
Yes drag a copy is my current workaround - which means I have to drag it back into position as a second operation if I want to do the equivalent of copying & pasting in place (eg for producing multiple complex 3D facade design variations, each on a new layer)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Graphisoft, please fix this. I understand the work around, but there needs to be a way to copy and paste 3d objects from one file to another. This is more essential to working in 3d than any new improvements you may be cooking up. Please let us all know when we can expect this fix that was requested over 10 years ago. Thanks.
Anonymous
Not applicable
You have my essential vote. It is incredibly annoying that this is not implemented yet... Please Graphisoft, make this happen ASAP!
Barry Kelly
I was going to suggest to "Save Selection as Module" then place in a new file and explode if necessary.
But that only works from a selection in 2D (plan) which defeats the purpose.

Barry.
Anonymous
Not applicable
So, is there already a way to copy a building to another drawing without having to copy it floor by floor? I tried with the thick marquee tool but there were missing slabs when I pasted it in the new document. I wish there was simply the option to save selection as a new document.
Anonymous
Not applicable
14 years later and still nothing I'd be interested to know the technical imitations of implementing this - I suspect it indeed is the issue of storeys. This surely could be fixed with a prompt asking you which home storey you want to assign the copied object to when copying from one file to another in 3D.
Status
Upvoted

with 46 Votes

Wish details
Product
Labels