cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Archicad Python API
About automating tasks in Archicad using the Python API.

Python Experiment - Performance?

poco2013
Mentor
After trying out the new python experiment , I am seeing some performance problems in dealing with properties. The problem seems due to the fact that properties are found and addressed only through their GUID. Therefore one has to iterate through all of the properties to find the property name or value you want. This isn't significant if you are only dealing with the custom properties, but is significant if you have to also iterate through the Static and Dynamic properties. I am seeing delays in the neighborhood of about 2 seconds? per record.

Note: that there are about 2500+ properties among >150 groups now in Archicad and I expect this number will increase. A typical cost application might have hundreds of records to be processed?

I think that a method need be added to directly search and find a property name or its value without going through the GUIDs. A dictionary with property names as keys would be better.

Wondering if anyone else is seeing these problems or if Archicad is aware of the issue? Perhaps, I am doing something wrong? I am aware of the use of the Excel import/export but this is what I am trying to avoid.- wanting direct control, rather then the use of schedules?
Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27
2 REPLIES 2
akomporday
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello poco2013,

The available Python add-on is only a technical experiment, which supports only a few simple functions. These functions are presented by the example snippets but we can't guarantee that these functions and workflows are optimal.

Our development team is working on a newer and more stable Python interface which will be tested and officially supported. This function (as well as the whole interface) is under development, so expect changes in the final release.
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is very good news I think. I am happy to hear there is continuous development of this plugin