Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

3D printing

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone, I just did a quick search on zcorp, and found some posts from last year where people seemed to have issues getting a good 3D print from an AC model. We're a service bureau, specializing in architectural models using the ZCorp printer mostly, and some SLA as well. We've also been using AC for a couple of years, with great success. If anyone has questions on the process, I'd be happy to help. You can see many examples of these models at alchemymodels.com.
41 REPLIES 41
Gary Lawes
Participant
And this is the original as rendered in ArchiCAD as a comparison.

I have to say I find myself just staring in awe at some of these models, they are so absolutely stunning, and to hold them to apreciate the weight and solidity is eeven more impresive.
Detail from PDF_0001.jpg
AC 17
Windows 7 Pro
Intel i7-2600
16GB RAM
Anonymous
Not applicable
An example of 3D printing direct from Archicad. Printed on a Zcorp, monochrome at Paperless Parts acting as a service bureau in New Hampshire, US.

I want a printer really badly, but think they are too messy for our office at the level of machine we can afford.

Process is simple: view in 3D, export as 3DS, make sure they get scale right in Zcorp software. At 1/8", you need to thicken walls. This model is printed at 1/4" = 1'-0". Even the grilles on the stove from the AC part printed.

Too bad someone dropped it and cracked the sun shade...
Anonymous
Not applicable
There is a quick guide on how to optimize your model here
It's quite a straight forward process.
Just a matter of making sure walls etc will still be thick enough to print, once you reduce it to a 1:16 scale.
Anonymous
Not applicable
jessetho wrote:
An example of 3D printing direct from Archicad. Printed on a Zcorp, monochrome at Paperless Parts acting as a service bureau in New Hampshire, US.

I want a printer really badly, but think they are too messy for our office at the level of machine we can afford.

Process is simple: view in 3D, export as 3DS, make sure they get scale right in Zcorp software. At 1/8", you need to thicken walls. This model is printed at 1/4" = 1'-0". Even the grilles on the stove from the AC part printed.

Too bad someone dropped it and cracked the sun shade...
Can you tell us the cost? And how much more it would be in color?

Thanks
Dwight
Newcomer
I looked at the ZPrinter 650 that can do a 10x15x8" build. Impressive color.
The thing was quiet and tidy and would fit nicely in any office. All you did was blow off a little dust in a special "Finishing" space so that the particles could be recycled.

The main issue with owning the machine is the capital cost of $75 -100 k.
No one can say for certain what the material costs are but I estimate less than $100 for that building shown. The material IS pricey, but there is very little waste.

Jessica's firm owns a similar machine so she might be able to tell us their material costs....
Dwight Atkinson
Gary Lawes
Participant
I have attached our price list to provide typical costings, figures in UK Sterling (currently worth nothing). I would expect these to be reasonably representative.
Media costs on this system are high, and there is a fair degree of labour in the finishing of models.
AC 17
Windows 7 Pro
Intel i7-2600
16GB RAM
Dwight
Newcomer
What is involved in the hand finishing? They'd like us to believe the output was complete....
Dwight Atkinson
Gary Lawes
Participant
Hi Dwight,

Having had a ZP450 here for a while I can share some of our experiences in running costs etc. the ZP650 is basically the same technology/process.

The print process can be broken into 5 stages –

1. Model fixing
2. 3D printing
3. Drying/baking
4. Depowdering
5. Fixing

The first stage is a software based process to analyse the 3D model and correct any errors. In reality it is not correcting model errors so much as preparing and adjusting the model for 3D printing, Zcorp sell Zedit for this purpose. There are several things that the software does, it checks to see all vertices meet correctly and that there are no holes in the model, checks that all normals are correctly orientated and checks for a consistent shell. The 3D printer is printing from surface models, and for these to be structurally sound the surface needs to be thickened in the opposite direction to its normal. Now consider an ArchiCAD window frame sat within a reveal, the reveal would be one surface and the frame would be another, two surfaces in the same plane each with normals heading in opposite directions. In 3D print terms this is an error. You can see from this,that even using a great modeller like ArchiCAD, the model will come in with hundreds of errors to be fixed.

3D printing involves three products – Powder, binder and ink. The powder costs £310.00 per 8kg, The Binder - £150.00 per 100ml and Ink is about £25 per cartidge. You can probably work out the approximate quantities of each, I would say the above would cover about 4 large Architectural models, allow to replace the binder print head (£35) with every job as it will clog if left unused for more than a few days.

The next stage is the really tricky bit. The “green” model is extremely frail, we normally remove it from the chamber whilst still in an envelope of powder and bake for a couple of hours, this helps a great deal. Then it is into the depowdering chamber, how the model is depowdered is critical to the finished product. Compressed air is blown across the surface, fine detail can very easily be blown away at this stage (the damage to Jessetho’s model looks like a depowdering issue, it is almost impossible to get fine details out without loss.

The surface of the model will be very coarse at this stage, we would brush and or sand the surface to bring it to an acceptable standard.

Finally the model is fixed using infiltrant (£110 per 500ml) this again requires extreme care, I recently lost a piece of model because one drop of infiltrant was too much weight for the piece of model in question. Getting infiltrant into all of the nooks and crannies of an Architectural model, without breaking it, is exceedingly difficult, it involves hand brushing with your fingers (with very secure protection of course) as spraying or painting is out of the question.
The models produced by Zcorp as examples were generally done by dipping in a vat of infiltrant, which is much easier, but hugely expensive, as once exposed to oxygen the infiltrant goes off very quickly. One job could easily use £400 worth of infiltrant.

Once finished, allow a good half an hour to clean the machine. I hope that gives a flavour, it is a great bit of kit, but compared to the Laser sintering machines it is extremely expensive and labour intensive.

Gary
AC 17
Windows 7 Pro
Intel i7-2600
16GB RAM
Dwight
Newcomer
I am filing your reply under

"Things the Salesman Never Tell"

Thank you.
Dwight Atkinson
Gary Lawes
Participant
Don't get me wrong, it is a fantastic machine, and stunning results, but as you say not as straightforward as they would have you believe. We have had quite a bit of downtime with faults as well. I am sure they will get better.
AC 17
Windows 7 Pro
Intel i7-2600
16GB RAM