cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

ArchiCAD on OS X Yosemite 10.10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Guys

ArchiCAD crashes all the time on OS X Yosemite 10.10.

When is ArchiCAD 18 being released which will be more stable Yosemite.

Cheers
Joe
72 REPLIES 72
JaredBanks
Mentor
I noticed that weird grid back during beta testing. Can't remember if I reported it or not. (let's say 50/50?) So far it hasn't shown up in PDFs or any digital output. I used to do a lot of screen captures for my images, but now usually can't because of the grid.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Anonymous
Not applicable
I also get that weird flicker, also my widows seem to be come transparent. . .
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
I'm glad to hear others are also experiencing the "flicker". I was afraid my video card was going bad-again.
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
Potato Farmer
Mentor
I tested the start-up times. All tests were performed by starting AC18 from the Dock or Taskbar, waiting for the typical open dialog, selecting the US Residential Template, then waiting for that to fully load to the point where work can commence. Here are my numbers:

Win7 | Mac Yosemite
Start to chooser: 0:35 | 1:15
Chooser to full open: 0:30 | 2:00
Total launch time: 1:05 | 3:15

A threefold difference! This could be the result of something peculiar with my setup so I would love to see some similar testing.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
JaredBanks
Mentor
I've noticed a continued increase in opening time from AC15 or 16 to 18 on the mac. But I am not disciplined enough as Geoff to run time tests!
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

aahatimo
Newcomer
Any other Yosemite / ArchiCad issues since the 10.10.1 update? Almost ready to upgrade.
tim hanagan
aaha! design studio durango, co
27" retina 5k iMac 4ghz i7 os 10.13.6 m395x 4 mb, 32gb ram, 512 gb ssd ac 22 current
15" retina mbp 2.6ghz 1mb 16gb ac 22 current[/size]
JaredBanks
Mentor
I've been on 18 hotfix 1 and 10.10.1 since the day 10.10.1 came out and so far all is smooth (other than the aforementioned slow opening, which for me anyways is old news...Geoff are you using an SSD drive? I'm not; that's on my upgrade list).
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Karl Ottenstein
Geoff wrote:
I tested the start-up times. All tests were performed by starting AC18 from the Dock or Taskbar, waiting for the typical open dialog, selecting the US Residential Template, then waiting for that to fully load to the point where work can commence. Here are my numbers:

Win7 | Mac Yosemite
Start to chooser: 0:35 | 1:15
Chooser to full open: 0:30 | 2:00
Total launch time: 1:05 | 3:15

A threefold difference! This could be the result of something peculiar with my setup so I would love to see some similar testing.
I've only got Yosemite on a test partition right now due to the reports here. Will try there in a bit. But for comparison, on my Mavericks system - using SSD - I get 17 seconds to chooser and 12 seconds to full open of Residential template = 29 seconds total which seems fine - especially on a 7 year old Mac Pro. Because of an OS X firewall warning about CineRender... part of that initial launch-to-chooser involves launching CineRender, too. I wish GS would not launch CR until I actually do something that requires it (e.g., CR surface settings or an actual render).
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
I just rebooted to 10.10.1 and tested again there... very similar times to Mavericks:

Start to chooser: 22 seconds
Chooser to full open: 11 seconds
Total launch: 33 seconds

I'm guessing that you are NOT using an SSD, Geoff? Can't think of how it would take 6 times longer for you than me otherwise... especially since your memory is faster than mine (1066 vs my really old 800 MHz bus).

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Potato Farmer
Mentor
No SSD, just a standard hard drive, but that's the same for my work PC too. So clearly something is causing trouble on my iMac. Would love to hear from GS about all these Yosemite issues.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x