Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Cigraph Paranoia

gpowless
Advocate
I spent part of my day trying to log on, download and update a number of Cigraph products. The "new Cigraph dongle will make it easier" they say.

I disagree. I see no need for such elaborate protection on an add-on for Archicad.

Is this really warranted? And how many people would steal the add-on if it was made available? Our USB ports are already overloaded and complicated protection systems for moderately useful products are a waste of resources and a waste of my time. I would rather see Cigraph put better quality into their products.
Intel i7-6700@3.4GHz 16g
GeForce GTX 745 4g HP Pavilion 25xw
Windows 10 Archicad 26 USA Full
52 REPLIES 52
gpowless
Advocate
Then go ahead and delete f'ing thread.

Deleting this would only serve to hurt us all in finding the answers to our questions. After all that IS what this forums is all about, no?
Intel i7-6700@3.4GHz 16g
Anonymous
Not applicable
I want to vote, but where? there's not an option to vote, of course I will vote for NO.
Thanks.
Just for you to know, I have been very interested in some of Cigraph's products, I have asked for information, asked some questions and I never received any answer from Cigraph and after reading all the posts regarding Cigraph, I don't think I will spend my money in a product that I will not get any response from, and worst I've read that there is people that already has their products and can't use them!!
Unbeleivable, I thought Cigraph was a serious company and I'm very surprised that it seems that Cigraph doesn't care at all, I haven't read anything from them regarding all this poblems.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I was contemplating buying their Architime for AC12 which Cigraph claims is available online. I did go onto their website but frankly I found it kinda confusing to purchase online. I may have heard some grumbling about their products before. After reading the postings on this forum it does give me pause. I wish Graphisoft would build in the time tracking feature in their future release.

Dave
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm no expert on copy protection so I don't know about the soft options, but I much prefer the hardware key for Cigraph add-ons than the old way of tying them to specific ArchiCAD keys. Most people don't need the add-ons on all their machines and trying to keep track of which AC keys are tied to which Cigraph add-ons can get unmanageable.

For example: You may have 10 ArchiCAD licenses but only need one copy of Architerra and two copies of Archiforma (and whatever else) which may be used in various combinations by anyone at various times. The old way was to swap around the AC keys, but this can quickly get very difficult to track and practically impossible in some configurations. With the new Cigraph keys it becomes very simple.
Erika Epstein
Booster
Matthew wrote:
. Most people don't need the add-ons on all their machines and trying to keep track of which AC keys are tied to which Cigraph add-ons can get unmanageable.
This is an excellent point Matthew!
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
I completely agree with Matthew!, For example, now it will be easier to us to persuade the heads to buy at least under one licence for products Cigraph.
gpowless, you rustle for nothing. If Cigraph will suffer defeat on Mohawk Territory, he will win in Russia.

Soon on sale! The clod has not enough place for those in their hubs.
gpowless
Advocate
Erika wrote:
Matthew wrote:
. Most people don't need the add-ons on all their machines and trying to keep track of which AC keys are tied to which Cigraph add-ons can get unmanageable.
This is an excellent point Matthew!
It is a good point. Which is why site licenses would allow the add-on to be used (or not) and any machine in the organization. The bigger problem is that now with the add-on tied to a piece of hardware if two people want to use different products on the same dongle, production slows down until the first one is finished using it OR you are forced into buying a second dongle and license to use the add-ons occasionally. It isn't very practical in my view.
Intel i7-6700@3.4GHz 16g
Anonymous
Not applicable
One key to all products? Hmm ... it is worse for the organization, which makes extensive use of Add-Ons.

But I think the organization could buy a few Dongle.
Anonymous
Not applicable
gpowless wrote:
...Which is why site licenses would allow the add-on to be used (or not) and any machine in the organization.
I haven't checked with Cigraph, but I imagine that their WIBU key could be set up as a network license just like ArchiCAD with some limited number of licenses allowed to run concurrently on any machines.
The bigger problem is that now with the add-on tied to a piece of hardware if two people want to use different products on the same dongle, production slows down until the first one is finished using it OR you are forced into buying a second dongle and license to use the add-ons occasionally. It isn't very practical in my view.
Assuming the network solution doesn't work for whatever reason, managing the floating dongles would depend on the needs of the firm. In some cases a single key with multiple add-ons would work (that's how I use them) in other cases one key per add-on makes more sense. It doesn't seem like rocket science to figure out which way will work best for a particular firm and to purchase accordingly.
It appears that Cigraph is charging 45 EUR ( $56 USD) for a new dongle. I never received the (supposedly free) one in the mail, so am I now required to buy one?

Paying for a dongle so that Cigraph will be protected, at least to me, is just another "nail in the coffin."
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10