BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

IMPORTING AUTOCAD DETAILS

peter spellman
Participant
Is there something written on importing autocad details into AC10?
I have extensive libraries of dwg details and would like to import into AC10. In some cases, I need to edit the details as well.
2 REPLIES 2
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Should not be a problem.
There are several options.
You can Merge DXF/DWG files into Archicad onto the Floor Plan or into Section/Elevation Windows or Detail Windows of your Project File.
You can also attach them as XREFs.

You can also create a new file for Details and Merge/XREF into that one. The reason I would consider this latter is two-fold:
1. When DWG/DXF files are Merged/XREF-ed into an AC Project, they bring all their attributes (fills, line types, Layers etc.), so you may not want to clutter up your Project file with those.
2. Since in AC10, you can place Views from one Project into the Layout Book of another, having the Details in another file is not a problem from a publishing point of view.

Others may have other ideas, too.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Andy Thomson
Advisor
If I might suggest a non-attribute-polluting third method, the 'place drawing' tool can bring in DWGs (details or otherwise) - with all elements landing on the AC layer, which you can then sort onto your detail(s) layer(s). These can then be exploded, modified and organized in any way you like (haven't done this myself yet, the rest of the workflow below is from 9, haven't done this in 10 yet either, but soon 😉 ).

We typically put details on a story below the model, and drag detail marker/bubbles around them to use (copies) in the S/E windows, in order to show the correct referncing in viewsets, etc.

The 'detail' story can subsequently be exported as a hotlink (just select all and save as 'hotlink' from selected elements - and save this as your new detail .MOD. Then you can bring this into new projects, and explode/break and modify as required.
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
Learn and get certified!