Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Importing Civil CAD .dwg file

EH21
Enthusiast

What is your workflow for importing survey/civil .dwg? Do you keep all the layers or put line work on your own layers? 

We always like to keep the ability to turn on and off various Civil layers (topo contours, spot elevations, utilities, etc...) and use info from the surveyor to incorporate into our own site plan. 

Don't know if this is the right forum for this question. Direct me elsewhere if need be.

Operating system used: Mac Apple Silicon 14 Sonoma

ArchiCAD: AC26, Version 4024 USA Full (Apple Silicon)
Computer: 2022 Apple M1 Max, 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 64 GB memory
2 REPLIES 2
figge
Booster

We usually try and keep the dwg intact on a worksheet as not to interfere with our drawings and models whatsoever. We then turn off subsequent layers from within the placed dwg to hide any information we don't need to see. This way the link is still live to the original dwg, if it needs to be updated. We also try and avoid exploding the file as it may (if you're not paying attention) add a whole bunch of new layers, line types and fills to your file.

The only issue we have is the line weights, they rarely are consistent between ours and the civil drawings as well as between different civil contractors. If needed be, we end up tracing some of the more relevant information while still using the dwg as an underlay for our plans.

W10 Pro | ArchiCAD 27 5003 AUS FULL | Twinmotion

I typically will open the DWG in a clean file and delete and replace the layers from the DWG to align with my template and the layer settings that I have set up for each view. Then I will clean up the fills and line types and check the pens for each element.

Once that task is complete I then will copy and paste it into my working project file. Either on the storey I need the information on, or onto a worksheet depending on the information I am bringing into the project.

Cheers Nathan

Nathan Hildebrandt fraia
Director | Skewed
AC6 - AC27 | WIN 11 | i9-10900K, 3.7Ghz | 32GB Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX

Setup info provided by author