Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.
SOLVED!

Referencing External Files

Zdenko
Enthusiast

good morning - looking for a bast practice/method to reference a file into my current design file to verify foundation data. not sure where a command allows me to bring it in as a trace reference? any suggestions from the community?

Operating system used: Mac Intel-based Sonoma 14.4.1

Archicad 27 (3001 USA Full Intel Based MAC)
Sonoma 14.4.1
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Barry Kelly

You can't reference to an external file (only internal view points, views and layouts).

If the data has been saved as a PDF, you can place that PDF as a drawing and use that - you cn then reference that as a trace if you want to use that method (because it is now placed in your file).

Or you can use the 'Navigator Organiser' to copy layouts from another file into your working file.

You can then trace & reference those layouts.

Just make sure you name those imported layouts appropriately and keep them separate from other layouts, so you know they are from an external source.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

Solution
Tim Ball
Expert

I use external dwg files from survey companies a lot and find that if I drop them into a worksheet and save the worksheet as a view, it’s then easy to trace reference in

Tim Ball

AC26, iMac

User since V5

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Solution
Barry Kelly

You can't reference to an external file (only internal view points, views and layouts).

If the data has been saved as a PDF, you can place that PDF as a drawing and use that - you cn then reference that as a trace if you want to use that method (because it is now placed in your file).

Or you can use the 'Navigator Organiser' to copy layouts from another file into your working file.

You can then trace & reference those layouts.

Just make sure you name those imported layouts appropriately and keep them separate from other layouts, so you know they are from an external source.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

thanks barry looked at nav. organizer and that will work. just need to spend some time with it...

Sonoma 14.4.1
Solution
Tim Ball
Expert

I use external dwg files from survey companies a lot and find that if I drop them into a worksheet and save the worksheet as a view, it’s then easy to trace reference in

Tim Ball

AC26, iMac

User since V5

thanks tim will have to keep that in mind the next go around...

Sonoma 14.4.1

Setup info provided by author