cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Problem with imported 3ds objects...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hallo everybody

I hope you could help me.
It is about imported 3ds objects...
I had some AutoCAD blocks, and with 3DStudio In I imported them in ArchiCAD, to get .gdl objects. And that works. BUT, I have problem with materials on these imported objects - it seems like ArchiCAD sees hole object as ONE thing, and it offers me only one material to change on that object. It doesn't recognize details with another materials - for example little handles, glass doors,... Those are objects of proffesional kitchen equipment, and there are a lots of details.
Is there any chance to import detail-recognizable object?

I would appreciate any help about this. Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
If the object saved to 3ds has more materials - the resulting GDL object will have them as separate.

If You have the separate meshes that should have different materials - then even if no difference in materials is in the input file - if the object is exploded to morphs - they will be separate morphs - so it will be easy to apply different materials (as it would be to apply different materials editing GDL scripts - but sometimes exploding to morph and saving back would save scripting to "non-GDLing" people)

Best Regards,
Piotr
Anonymous
Not applicable
There must be something wrong at some stage of your export/import process. ArchiCAD typically recognizes the internal material settings of both 3DS and DWG.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Piotr..
Yes, that's right - when I have different materials in 3DS then I have it also in .gdl...so now when I import .dwg in 3DStudio Max then I change some of materials, and that's it....

Thanks Matthew,
probably you are right - I 'hm not so good in .3ds format, so it's possibly that I by importing object don't check or check something what i shouldn't...

Anyway, I do it like I said whit changing materials in .3ds

Thanks again
zeleygabor
Participant
Hi there!

I little bit of expertise would help me a lot as well.
I have exported to 3ds from Max and when imported to GDL I had not only the material issue, but also siue and the different parts were falling apart. I have loaded Solidworks assembly to 3D max to be able to convert to GDL at the end.

Many thanks
Gabor