Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Vectorworks 2011 is looking VERY good!

Anonymous
Not applicable
As a past VW user and convert to AC I am very impressed at what they have come up with in this version. The combination of the Parasolid modeling kernel (which is really shining through now) and Cinema 4D rendering engine - plus a TON of new features - makes this a very very impressive release.
Have look at the 3D capability in these videos
... and then the list of new features in this PDF
For all my previous criticism of VW they have had solid upgrades over the years. Even with that track record this one stands out as a home run (or six, depending on your frame of reference)
Well done!
8 REPLIES 8
Dwight
Newcomer
Is it time to go back?
Dwight Atkinson
Rakela Raul
Participant
is there any BIM Software competition ??
I wonder which would be #1 now...

i would look again for: friendlier, faster

years back there was one, and this software (VW) with a diff name was already competing... i think !! looks great
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Anonymous
Not applicable
Fortunately (or sadly) not.
VW is rising like a rocket but even with their momentum, as a day to day BIM authoring application - and my requirement for an integrated and extensible system (which ultimately pays the bills) I would still go with AC. AC's maturity still counts for a lot.
... a shame it is VW vs AC
Anonymous
Not applicable
The word momentum above is what is key here. Although AC's maturity offers some strong advantages, at this rate the gap is quickly closing. The list of improvements in VW2011 is incredible. Imagine what 2013 will be like.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I just got back from a conference in Copenhagen where separate teams used ArchiCAD, Revit and Vectorworks on a sample social housing project. My take away from this is that all the programs work well.

I am glad to see improvements in all of these programs and find all this handwringing when one or the other programs improves to be a bit misplaced. ArchiCAD has some major benefits and advantages as do Vectorworks and Revit. SketchUp, Rhino, Microstation and others also have their places in the field with particular advantages for certain practices and disciplines.

ArchiCAD is a good program with a solid market base (as far as I know) and Graphisoft's strategic development seems strong (though I have a few concerns about the tactical improvements - or lack thereof).

I do wonder sometimes about Nemetschek's continuing development of three competing products without much apparent attention to interoperability between them, but then perhaps this will develop over time as the IFC support improves in each (as it has been doing).
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
I just got back from a conference in Copenhagen where separate teams used ArchiCAD, Revit and Vectorworks on a sample social housing project. My take away from this is that all the programs work well.

I am glad to see improvements in all of these programs and find all this handwringing when one or the other programs improves to be a bit misplaced. ArchiCAD has some major benefits and advantages as do Vectorworks and Revit. .

Would it be possible to have a comparative advantages and limitations of 3 programs found during this meeting?
Thank you anyway to continue to offer quality contributions to this forum. Many veterans seem to have given up ....
Christiaan
Participant
This was a make or break release for us. We're using v2009 and are stuck in a 2D workflow for the most part and there are still various barriers in v2011 that could conspire to stop us making the jump to a fully 3D workflow (silly little things like not being able to define and dimension a door by its structural opening), but a lot of major hurdles look to have been overcome (or at least going in the right direction): such as the new slab tool with components, wall components that can be separately controlled (and interact with slab components), a much more usable roof tool, and various improvements in the design workflow (such as getting rid of hard-coded Classes and the introduction of Design Layer Section Viewports, finally!).

I'd say the last remaining major advantage ArchiCAD has over VW is Teamwork. VW users, for now at least, are still stuck with the anachronism that is file referencing for working in teams.

One of the major advantages that Vectorworks still has over ArchiCAD (besides freeform modelling) is that the Mac interface is actually a Mac interface, rather than a Windows interface shoe-horned into the Mac. (In saying that I wish VW would move to a unified window approach.)

v2011 has given us the confidence to stick with it and (once we upgrade to compatible computers) is potentially the first version of VW I'm willing to use to transition our practice to a fullly 3D workflow.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Philippe wrote:
Matthew wrote:

I am glad to see improvements in all of these programs and find all this handwringing when one or the other programs improves to be a bit misplaced. ArchiCAD has some major benefits and advantages as do Vectorworks and Revit. .

Would it be possible to have a comparative advantages and limitations of 3 programs found during this meeting?
Thank you anyway to continue to offer quality contributions to this forum. Many veterans seem to have given up ....
I'm not sure what the organizers' plans are for publication but there may be an article or two and something on the web coming soon.

The event was not organized as a "shoot out" comparison of the software but more as an investigative and educational program. The skill levels of the participants varied widely so this would limit the significance for rating the software. All teams performed well and produced creditable designs and presentations.

This was also the first event of this sort that I know of. If we do more in the future perhaps we can design them to capture a bit more of the relative strengths of the programs. But, to be honest, I am much more concerned with issues of interoperability and collaboration. As long as this can be steadily improved and refined then everyone can chose the program that best suits their needs and be assured that they will be able to work with everyone else.