Archicad C++ API
About Archicad add-on development using the C++ API.

I am New in Development

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi to all! You can post here a question if you are new in development.
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
the question from me is - how do you think, can I write an simple add-on, if I'm not a programmer?! Is it possible for me to understand API and etc.?
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Aleksei wrote:
the question from me is - how do you think, can I write an simple add-on, if I'm not a programmer?! Is it possible for me to understand API and etc.?
No.

API = Application Programming Interface
It is an interface for programmers to use. If you learn to be a programmer, then you will be able to use the API.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ralph wrote:
Aleksei wrote:
No.

API = Application Programming Interface
It is an interface for programmers to use. If you learn to be a programmer, then you will be able to use the API.
Why your answer is so shot?!!! It's not right! Give me full explain why are you think so! And if you are programmer, how long do you think should I learn it to be able to write not difficult 2D add-on.
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Aleksei wrote:
Why your answer is so shot?!!! It's not right! Give me full explain why are you think so! And if you are programmer, how long do you think should I learn it to be able to write not difficult 2D add-on.
No offence meant - my reply was as long as it needed to be in order to answer the question. Perhaps that will be clearer if I rephrase your question:
can I teach Japanese at secondary school if I don't know the language?! Is it possible for me to understand the coursework etc.?
The answer is simply "No." The only way to use the language is to learn it. I can't tell you how long it will take without knowing more about your aptitude. All I can recommend is either taking a programming class or - if you are good at learning from books - buy a solid "Learning C++" book and work your way through that. If you don't, there's simply no way you will understand the API.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Karl Ottenstein
Aleksei,

Ralph gave a reasonable answer ... and now gave a reasonable analogy.

One has to become a programmer first before one can tackle the API. To ask how difficult that would be, visit your local college or university and ask the question of the computer science department, or go to a bookstore and review a number of books on C++ programming to find how many it would take for you to feel comfortable. If you are brilliant, even though you have not programmed before, perhaps you can be ready in 3 months. If you are typical, it can take a year or two. If your mind does not work like a programmer, it just will not be possible.

Being "OK" is not good enough for an API programmer, because via the API you can basically destroy an entire model file if you do not know what you are doing. A novice level of programming skill could be dangerous for whoever ends up using the add-on.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ralph, Karl, thank you very much 😃 I only need to say, that I liked basic in college. Now I just want to find myself. Experience in Construction Design, Financial Investment... But I really enjoy when decide the problems in Excel (unfortunately the only program that I know for such goals).
That is the only reason why I ask you as professionals to help me figure out whether I can become a programmer, if I am already 25 years old and higher education in "Industrial & construction engineering":?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
Aleksei,

Karl
Maybe you can give me an advice, what should I try to do to understand can I become an programmer or no.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Aleksei wrote:
Karl wrote:
Aleksei,

Karl
Maybe you can give me an advice, what should I try to do to understand can I become an programmer or no.
Karl already answered this. Look into courses or check out some books on C++
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Aleksei wrote:
You need to make a start - if you enjoy it and have a knack for it, the process will rapidly accelerate. But if you struggle or find the material tedious, it might not be for you. There is a wealth of material online too, for example Stanford University has released a free iPhone development course on iTunes here.
Ralph Wessel BArch