BIMx
About BIMx (mobile, web and desktop), connection to BIMcloud, and related technical questions.

New engine for Bimx?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there!
Is there any chance that Graphisoft will come up with a new Bimx engine? Maybe add the possibility of baking cinerendered textures into the model? Get some pre-rendered reflections, or even basic reflections?
It would be really helpful.
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
Seconded.
I look at the UE4Arch stuff with serious envy.
rjwilden
Booster
UE4Arch Makes BIMX look like a sick joke
Richard Wilden Design. Ltd
Dunedin, New Zealand.
Imac 27" i9 3.6GHz; 32GB Ram Mac OS 11.3
Archicad V23:V24
Anonymous
Not applicable
Twinmotion 2018 will use Unreal engine, I wish BIMx can use Unreal engine too.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes the engine of Bimx need improvement
Anonymous
Not applicable
just adding my name of the list of requests for this - rendering is quickly moving from 2d to 3d and vr and as good as bimx was when it came out, it's going to be left behind fast.

going to something like unreal to allow for better lighting, shadows, etc will be a necessity soon, not a luxury. Ability to add detailed landscape materials as well within bimx without overloading the model will also be needed
BimX uses a GDL rendering. This one is neither good nor bad it is adapted to its use: to consult the 3D model as easily as the 2D drawings.

"Yes the engine of Bimx need improvement"
It is true that the rendering engine of the Bimx makes bad shadows especially
but to expect bimX to have a photorealistic rendering is not its goal and that's why the bimX format is very powerful. It's about using it for its function. Small improvements need to be made but a photorealistic rendering engine seems out of place for bimX.

We can also simply note that global illumination, which improves the rendering, is very time-consuming :
Just here on Archicad-Talk

It is possible to make beautiful and simple rendered bimX but it will remain in my opinion a BimX and not photorealistic imagery
Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Christophe wrote:
BimX uses a GDL rendering. This one is neither good nor bad it is adapted to its use: to consult the 3D model as easily as the 2D drawings.

"Yes the engine of Bimx need improvement"
It is true that the rendering engine of the Bimx makes bad shadows especially
but to expect bimX to have a photorealistic rendering is not its goal and that's why the bimX format is very powerful. It's about using it for its function. Small improvements need to be made but a photorealistic rendering engine seems out of place for bimX.

We can also simply note that global illumination, which improves the rendering, is very time-consuming :
Just here on Archicad-Talk

It is possible to make beautiful and simple rendered bimX but it will remain in my opinion a BimX and not photorealistic imagery
We use global illuminate almost exclusively to obtain better bimx results but seeing what is possible with other graphic engines, I still believe that a forward looking graphisoft needs to be pushing toward stronger graphics or risk being left behind. Looking at what twinmotion does - http://www.graphisoft.com/archicad/partner_solutions/twinmotion/ - I believe this level of real-time graphics will be expected very soon.
You are mistaken about the subject, of course that bimx is not worthy of the photorealist rendering engines but your set together the objectives to achieve. Bimx is absolutely not competing with Twinmotion. The aim of Twinmotion is quite well but no way to twirl around a model while integrating 2D plans. Moreover, there are already photorealistic rendering solutions much more efficient than Twinmotion and much less expensive (since a lot of years... Soon the next level...) :

https://youtu.be/lU43BjBW0hw

As easy to use as you can see
Faster than Twinmotion and more beautiful render
But no movie render yet... This brand is preparing so much more than Twinmotion

I'll be proud to show you as soon as possible
Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin