Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.
SOLVED!

"Warning! Cannot read file plan."

jetthvn
Participant

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has a fix for Archicad not allowing you to open shared downloaded files. Files shared between myself and the company architect will allow him to open the same file that I cannot. I have the most recent software update and all the same hardware specs as him. Would anyone know what to do to fix this? Below is a picture of the message I receive:

Screenshot 2022-08-09 122846.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution

That error normally displays when you are trying to open it with the wrong version of Archicad. The only way you can work on a file at the same time together is through Teamwork. 

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.1.1
macOS Sonoma (14.2)

View solution in original post

Solution
Barry Kelly

As Lee said, the only time I have seen that message is if I was trying to open a file made in a new version with and older version of Archicad.

i.e. the file was saved in version 26 and you are trying to open it in 25.

If you go to the FILE menu > OPEN dialogue, and select the file, you should see the version number of the file.

If you see nothing it means it is a version newer that your currently open Archicad and can't be opened.

BarryKelly_0-1660180171942.png

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Solution

That error normally displays when you are trying to open it with the wrong version of Archicad. The only way you can work on a file at the same time together is through Teamwork. 

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.1.1
macOS Sonoma (14.2)
Steve1
Contributor

Sometimes windows blocks downloaded files. Try right clicking on the file and opening the properties tab. If it has an option to unblock the file down the bottom of the general tab, tick that hit OK and try again.

Still no luck sadly.

Solution
Barry Kelly

As Lee said, the only time I have seen that message is if I was trying to open a file made in a new version with and older version of Archicad.

i.e. the file was saved in version 26 and you are trying to open it in 25.

If you go to the FILE menu > OPEN dialogue, and select the file, you should see the version number of the file.

If you see nothing it means it is a version newer that your currently open Archicad and can't be opened.

BarryKelly_0-1660180171942.png

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Message "Warning! Cannot read Plan file" (Archicad 26 in teamwork)
When user opens the project, in which he worked before (it does not matter yesterday or 15 minutes ago),
sometimes it has the appearing message "Warning! Cannot read Plan file".

Decision, that helped in my situation:
1. We should find out the storage of cache in our computer.
So, Teamwork >Project > Local Data Manager and press "Options" button and check the path to the "Local Data folder".
It looks like "C:\Users\Username\Graphisoft\TW Data"

2. Please, open folder with your cache with path checked in step 1,
choose the folder with projects for example it may be with name like "AC-26.0.0".
Enter in this folder and delete all folders and files in this folder.
Don't worry, it is just local cache, that cause our problem.
3. Close Archicad, open Archicad again and successfully re-join to the project.

Celta4Porta
Beginner

I found a solution that worked for me, I hope it helps you. I keep my archicad files in a Google Drive folder for my computer, and I tried everything I could to open the file, but it didn't work. Luckily I had the idea to go to the Google Drive website and download the file directly from there, and to my surprise, the file opened normally, apparently the error only occurred in the file that was on the computer (technically the file was synchronized with the cloud , but for some reason only the computer file had the error). I hope it works for you!

Just another reason not to work directly from a cloud storage folder.

Work from your local hard drive or an network folder, and then when you want to copy the file over to the cloud folder.

If the cloud folder is syncing while Archicad is trying to save, it can cause problems with the files.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!